Thread: My 8 year old batteries!

Default My 8 year old batteries!

Well.....my 8+ year old TROJAN trolling motor batteries (one of them), finally bit the dust. I checked the water in them yesterday and one had frozen (I guess) and cracked. Lost most of the water. That one had been having trouble charging all the way anyway. These have been excellent batteries. Figured it was about time for two new ones. SOOOO....found a place in Leesburg that sells Trojan, Deka, Interstate, Exide and other brands. http://batterywarehouseva.com/about/

Anyway....call them up this am and a fella by the name of Steve answers. He promptly says...."Good morning Mr. Lawrence....about time for some new batteries for that boat isn't it?" I'm thinking....wait a minute...how'd he know that? If you have ever received a call from me....you know that the caller ID says..."Martin, Lawrence". I can't change it for some reason (not sure I want too).

He thought I was the REAL Martin Lawrence who is a customer, who also has a place in Purcellville and a boat and has bought batteries from them before. We both got a good laugh once he figured out our voices did not "quite" match...lol

So...picked up my new 27TMX Trojan batteries and am about to install. Just thought I'd pass this along to anyone looking for quality batteries in the area.

Tell them Martin Lawrence sent ya.....ha ha.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Yeah boieee. How's Gina doing by the way? Thanks for the heads up on the batteries seriously.Think when these Interstates trolling goes, I'll be replacing with Trojans since they seem to last twice the life of an Interstate. Tell Cole, Pam, and Tommy that I said hi to
    Crank That Jank!

$158 each which ain't too bad for Trojans.
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Too bad they are so far away. I'll be buying a Deka cranking battery this week from East Penn, a local Deka distributor here in the Ashland Air Park.

I'm done with the Interstates.

Just wondering did you regularly check the water/fluid level in the batteries? The water level should always be above the lead plates, whether charged or somewhat discharged. We check our four batteries (3 of them Interstates which we love) every couple of months. Evaporation causes water levels to decrease which will eventually kill a battery if too low. All you have to do is pop off the top filler caps and add distilled water. Be careful and wear safety glasses! 8 years is tremendous though!

Quote Originally Posted by kickin bass View Post
    Just wondering did you regularly check the water/fluid level in the batteries? The water level should always be above the lead plates, whether charged or somewhat discharged. We check our four batteries (3 of them Interstates which we love) every couple of months. Evaporation causes water levels to decrease which will eventually kill a battery if too low. All you have to do is pop off the top filler caps and add distilled water. Be careful and wear safety glasses! 8 years is tremendous though!
    I check the water level about every 3 trips out using the trolling motor. The one bad battery had frozen (I think) and cracked, at some point this winter and 4 of the cells leaked out into the tray. The other one seemed OK....but figured 8 yrs. has been good....so I replaced both.