Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lake Moomaw 5-10

Quote Originally Posted by Striper View Post
    $85 for the picnic area - dang!
    Must be all the Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, Chips, and Drinks you can eat....

Lake Anna State Park charges 90.00..............
    Quote Originally Posted by Striper View Post
    $85 for the picnic area - dang!
    Crank That Jank!

For some reason this whole 'fundraising' and payout thing is/was really bothering me, so I made some calls yesterday saying I wanted to put on tx out of Bolar Flat...

Augusta County Bass Jons for some reason figured 55-70 boats would show up for a tx that pays out 200.00(?), thus the need for a special use permit and to basically 'reserve' the marina facilities preventing any other large groups from holding a tx out of there. The special use permit from the US Forest Service, since it's in GWNF, is only 62.00 or 5% of the adjusted gross from the tournament - whichever is more. Meaning, if the group collects 1000, pays out 300, then only $700 would be subject to the 5% ($35.00). However, 62.00 is more than that 5% - so they should be paying $62 for the permit.

Because of the prospective size of the tx the USFS requires that they obtain their own liability insurance with the USFS listed as an 'additionally insured' to protect against the 3rd party suits. It's not the injury incurred to the guys in the club, but the unfortunate kayaker using the park/lake that gets run over by the yahoo in the tournament that they are worried about. The kayaker could then sue the boater, the club and the US Forest Service.

So, there is a requirement for the insurance, but I don't know the limits set by the USFS, and they vary based on the tx size and duration. The lady that deals with that specifically was out of the office due to her husband passing. That said, $400.00 for a simple 1 day deal umbrella policy seems a little high to me, but I'm not in insurance so I don't really know.

I'll say this again, a 30-40% payout on a 'fundraiser' tournament is ridiculous IMO. If this was some specific organization, like St. Judes, Reel American Hero's or some other accredited organization, I could maybe understand it, but even those tournaments are usually 80% payout or more. For 200 paying 1 place or possibly a 2nd place at 100...why bother?

Pure speculation here - but I think ACBJ got ahead of itself in thinking 'if they build it, they will come' and they'd pull a large crowd. I mean even the well marketed and well known FOM's and Sportsmans on the river only pull in the 40-80 boat range. There are just so many tournament options out there now, big #'s in tx's are becoming more and more rare. Rather than going and spending money on the permits and stuff, the more realistic idea for ACBJ would have been 15-20 boats, tops. Don't report it to Bolar Flat, don't report it to USFS, and they could have saved themselves a lot of money and actually come out on the positive with this thing.
    Last edited by gnfsnva; 05-09-2014 at 09:22 AM.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Anybody know what won this tournament and how many boats they had?

15.5 pounds won it..I believe we had 11 boats for our club and I think there were 13 teams not in the club so 24 perhaps. I think there was 9 bags over 10 pounds weighed in. I know for our club first was 15.5 (overall winner) 2nd for the club had 14.2ish and 3rd was right around 13.8 or so. I know we finished 5th in the club and we had 10.4 and there were 3 or so non club teams ahead of us. Big fish was 6.12 I believe. The fishing was flat out on fire Saturday.
    I'm about to play my Ace

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12