Thread: Memorial Day weekend

Default Memorial Day weekend

I will be staying in Virginia beach Memorial Day weekend on the bay side. What can I expect to catch this time of year and would it be worth bringing my kayak?
    I'm about to play my Ace

I'm not real sure what will be biting Aaron, but you can put your kayak in at the launch site on Crab Creek. It's just over the north side of the Lynnhaven bridge. I've handlined some crabs there with my kids and a lot yakers come and go from there to fish the inlet.

I'd say there will be plenty of fish to be had.

My folks have a place down there, and I may head down with the boys if time allows. I'll let you know, and we can catch up if you want.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Things should really be getting good by then. Yes to the KAYAK! Lynhaven river will be holding speckled trout, bluefish, red drum, and probably a quite a few flounder! check back in and i will give you the lowdown when the time is closer. THings are really starting to come alive right now and it is only going to get better.

Make sure you bring the yak. Lynnhaven will be the ticket. And for the record the beach sux that weekend................... I am hoping to make the slat the following weekend.

We are told that we shouldn't judge all Muslims by the actions of an extreme few. Why can't we offer millions of law-abiding American gun owners the same consideration?

I also hear back bay / west neck creek is loaded with bass

Definitely take the kayak!!! The reds should really be biting in Lynnhaven along with a bunch of other fish. Find a nice deep hole and toss out a bottom rig with squid, shrimp, or fish bites and you can catch flounder, small sea bass, trout, reds, pinfish, etc. Anything will bite. But make sure you are visible because boat traffic will be insane down there!

I would fish Nawney Creek if I was going to fish back bay. It is a very good creek which is almost all trolling motor only for bass boats due to its size. It has a ramp off of Mill Landing Rd and was very good for bass a couple of years ago. If the grass is in now it fishes very similar to the Potomac in regards to the grass.

Definitely bring the yak! Throw spinnerbaits for reds in Lynnhaven, they love em. Or use Gulp if you want a variety catch. Flounder fishing should be good in inlets and channels too.

I agree with kickin bass, boat traffic is gonna be nuts. I would try to find spots away from the crowds, or better yet, fish at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan 2 View Post
    Definitely bring the yak! Throw spinnerbaits for reds in Lynnhaven, they love em. Or use Gulp if you want a variety catch. Flounder fishing should be good in inlets and channels too.

I agree with kickin bass, boat traffic is gonna be nuts. I would try to find spots away from the crowds, or better yet, fish at night.
    I fish all around the peninsula and southside, another great spot to try is around Ft Monroe/ hampton roads birdge tunnel. less boat traffic. I yak fish that alot. Live bait, 3 inch swimbaits, gulp curly tail mullets on small bucktails, and a spoon is often a winners. THis place is also a AWESOME Night fishing spot.

If you want to get real adventureous, paddle off of buckroe beach in hampton a few hundred yards, and throw out some live eels or spot and you very well could catch a monster of a cobia. Tey are usually just getting here around that time and the first place they show up is on that stretch of shoreline and inshore of bluefish rock.

give me a shout if you have any questions. So much going on fish wise the sky is the limit.