Thread: Oregon Inlet Fishing Report May 18th, 2014 Solid Sunday

Default Oregon Inlet Fishing Report May 18th, 2014 Solid Sunday

Oregon Inlet Fishing Report May 18th, 2014 A lot of boats went out of Oregon Inlet today and the crews were rewarded with more of the same – nice solid gaffer dolphin that were willing to crush baits. *The yellowfin … Continue reading →
    The post Oregon Inlet Fishing Report May 18th, 2014 Solid Sunday appeared first on Oregon Inlet Fishing Report.

Oregon Inlet Fishing Report May 18th, 2014
    A lot of boats went out of Oregon Inlet today and the crews were rewarded with more of the same – nice solid gaffer dolphin that were willing to crush baits. *The yellowfin tuna action was a little light. *Several of the captains noted the change in the Gulf Stream and the need to push upwards of 50 or more miles. *Grass lines were still a bit scattered but productive stretches weren’t hard to find.
    The charter Dream Girl reported some great dolphin action early on when the captain located some inshore grass that was broken up a little. *The crew connected and was able to find some nice gaffer dolphin. *Rounding out there trip was sight fishing for cruising cobia.
    The Oregon Inlet fishing report for the charters Country Girl and Fishin Frenzy were that gaffer dolphin were willing to bite, and the crews had success. *High Return fishing out of Oregon Inlet Fishing Center reports a great day offshore with similar action.
    Legacy’s Oregon Inlet fishing report was heading out in search of some nice gaffer dolphin, successfully landing several. *The crew continued to troll and were rewarded with some hungry yellowfin tuna. *The Legacy was able to bring 7 yellowfin tuna*to the boat. *After finding the yellowfin the captain eased back to the east and finished out by filling the box with several more really nice gaffer dolphin.
    Point Runner out of the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center reports that the Gulf Stream change was nearly 50 miles. *After the long haul, the crew had a great day offshore. * The charter Skiligal loaded the boat with gaffer dolphin and added one yellowfin tuna all by 9:30 this morning.
    Rounding out the Oregon Inlet fishing report is Obsession. *The crew of the Obsession quickly found the productive grass lines and the action never let up. *The action was quick, often times with doubles and triples of gaffer dolphin. *Within two hours the boxes were full and everyone decided to shoot for some yellowfin tuna or marlin. *After dropping the big baits over, the crew was quickly back on the rods but with more dolphin! *With no more room in the box, the crew headed in early with a solid limit of dolphin.
    Photo Courtesy of Dream Girl

Photo Courtesy of High Return

Photo Courtesy of Legacy

Photo Courtesy of Obsession

Photo Courtesy of Point Runner

Photo Courtesy of Skiligal

Check out the full list of Oregon Inlet Fishing Reports for May
    Keep up with the latest Hatteras Fishing Reports
    The post Oregon Inlet Fishing Report May 18th, 2014 Solid Sunday appeared first on Oregon Inlet Fishing Report.

Click here for more...

I know nothing of salt water fishing and survival rate of a released fish, but does anybody catch and release in ocean? I mean will all those fish get eatin before they go bad in freezer. Just seems I read how the ocean is commercially over fished up to 7x more than it can reproduce, not a math mathematician but this is not good for us all. I know charters are expensive but part of just catching is the entertainment CPR. I don't know I don't get it, guess it's a salt water thing.
    2017 Ironman winner

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    I know nothing of salt water fishing and survival rate of a released fish, but does anybody catch and release in ocean? I mean will all those fish get eatin before they go bad in freezer. Just seems I read how the ocean is commercially over fished up to 7x more than it can reproduce, not a math mathematician but this is not good for us all. I know charters are expensive but part of just catching is the entertainment CPR. I don't know I don't get it, guess it's a salt water thing.
    Carl, there is plenty of release fishing in the summer with billfish. Cobia have a very short trip through NC so they keep their limit at the same time on a good day they might release an additional 15 or 20 over what they keep.

Dolphin are a different story, however they are a different beast all together. They are the fastest growing fish and likely the fastest growing animal on the planet. Studies have shown that something like 95% of dolphin do not live to see 2 years old whether it be through predation, being caught or simply dying. They only have a full lifespan of 4-5 years. For example late in the summer the charter boats will be catching "bailer" sized dolphin which are 4-6lbs, those fish are likely less than a year old. Most of the fish in the pictures above are not much more than a year to 18 months. They are basically rabbits of the see and replenish faster than we can catch them. That is why you see docks full of them.

The charter boats also need to make money and the best way to do that is to have a full load, people actually walk the docks at the fishing center at OI and will book based on the boats that have the most fish on the dock. It will look a lot different in the summer when they have 15 small dolphin and everyone is holding billfish release flags.
    Last edited by JayT; 05-22-2014 at 08:43 AM.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director