Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poquoson/White House Cove Marina Cobia Shakedown with Rick

Default Poquoson/White House Cove Marina Cobia Shakedown with Rick

Well after much work and even more beer Rick was finally able to put his boat in it's home for the next year. White House Cove Marina. The marina is very nice with an easy/not busy launch ramp, covered slips, boat yard, swimming pool, bath house, tackle/beer shop and a Surf Rider Restaurant. It was a great set up and an easy ride from Richmond for me!

The point of the trip was to make sure the boat is ready to go for the summer and more importantly all of the newly installed controls are functioning properly for cobia season. We were able to get most of the boat ready and we were in the water by 2 pm or so. We headed out of the Poquoson River to go look for some cobia. The bite has been good lately so we had high hopes. Before we were even ready we ran over a fish that was pushing 50lbs with a smaller 20lb male. For the next 3 hours we saw a fish every 30 minutes or so ending with 11 fish seen, casting at 3 and pulling off 1. They were certainly not aggressive and most were very spooky. Visibility started out pretty tough but late in the day it was perfect. We had high hopes for the next day.

Well Rick had a responsibility to get a fresh bushel of crabs for his wife, so we had that built in to the plan. We did not have the fact that the place did not open until 11am on a Saturday morning in the plan. After a nights rest in one of the shadiest motels on the east coast we headed back to the marina to work on a few things before I'd head to Gloucester to pick up a bushel. Just by happenstance we walked into the boat shed to check out the boats. A guy on top of boat starts a casual conversation about his work, asks us about or day and plans. Through conversation he tells us there is a place about 5 minutes away and surely he is open at this hour. We decide to run down there and check, sure enough the guy has a crabs at a fair price and will even steam them for you before you pick them up. Bingo! This saved 2 hours of driving so we head for the boat and dump her.

After yesterday afternoon we are pumped and have higher expectations, it doesn't take 20-30 minutes on top and we see a small pair cruising near a bunch of menhaden. Unfortunately after 6 hours of cruising and covering over 40 miles of water we only saw 8 or 9 fish and nothing to get overly excited about. We had a great time, got the boat clean and got most of the kinks out. We'll be ready to go for the rest of season as it will only get better as it gets hotter.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

nice job boyz. great to see all the hardwork coming together Rick
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Thanks for the report JayT, my son and I are going out with Jet Ski Brian Tuesday for Cobia.

A friend is a present you give to yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Douger View Post
    Thanks for the report JayT, my son and I are going out with Jet Ski Brian Tuesday for Cobia.
    Cool, good chance you guys will be running around to different buoys and throwing eels and jigs at them! Good luck and give us a report!

Quote Originally Posted by Douger View Post

Save your money on the Jet Ski trip, too early to spend your money and time on a jetski cobia trip. He does catch some cobia, but usually just pitching eels at buoys. We pitched an eel at every buoy along the york river channel to the mouth of the bay and not one cobia. All ours were seen cruising open water. good luck spotting those from a ski though.

Was out there Saturday and sunday... from 8 to 10:30am we participated in "Clean the Bay Day" for CBF. Picked up over 500 lbs of trash in 2 hours.

FYI:If i see you throw trash overboard i will personally pull up, commandeer your vessel and proceed to kick you square in the balls...

Name:  IMG_20140607_091806.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  958.1 KB

Bite still hasnt gotten good. Saw alot of small or picky fish. Lost one 40to 50 inch fish Saturday and saw one that was easily 80-100 lbs cruising on top of a sea turtle. Justwhen it was just getting good, we had to go in due to prior obligations. beautiful day though!

Went back at it sunday morning, more of the same except the weather turned nasty on us when the winds kicked up to 20-25mph. Saw a pair of cobia and got an eel in ones mouth in time for my buddy to wrestle him from the tower while i fought 4 ft waves this fish made laps arround the boat. At one point i was backing down on it and was taking some prety nice waves clean over the transom...oh and all while I had to drive and gaff this big boy. ended up being 50inches on the mark. next need more hands on deck next time. Hauled tail in to the duck blind everybody was partying at for some calm seas and cold beer before docking back at my parents dock. Good times!

Name:  cobiawayman.JPG
Views: 173
Size:  66.1 KB

dont' know much about Cobia but looks like a nice fish!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Thank you for your clean up efforts. Nice fish!

A friend is a present you give to yourself

Nice work Duck. We ran over a nice fish in the Poquoson River and as we took out on Saturday a guy doing a sea tril said he ran over a 50-60 pounder near the same area coming in. It should be good soon, now if the NE winds will stop. See you on the water.

Man that is awesome. I gotta catch a cobia one of these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast