Thread: Chesapeake Flats 8/9-8/10

Default Chesapeake Flats 8/9-8/10

We set up camp on Gwynn's Island late Friday night, and Saturday morning I headed south for some flats fishing. This was my first saltwater trip since May, so I was pretty excited.

I launched at 6am and trolled a redfish magic spinnerbait as I paddled to my first spot. That quickly produced a schoolie striper in the 20" range. Not a bad start. Got to my spot on a grass flat and started throwing a topwater lure, and within 5 minutes had a 15" speck. I wasn't expecting much trout action on this trip so that was a pleasant surprise.

Stayed with the topwater for at least another hour and had a couple more more bites, but nothing connected except this guy. The birds were really obnoxious, they dive-bombed my lures constantly.

For the next several hours I played around with a popping cork and gulp combo. I used an 18" leader from the float, a 1/8oz jighead, and whatever gulp I pulled out of the tub first. Mullet, shrimp, minnow, didn't seem to matter. This caught more speckled trout up to 15", sand perch, croaker, and blowfish. Some of the trout were the smallest I've ever seen...made me wish I had a saltwater aquarium.

I threw the topwater some more too, but that only produced one small bluefish and a single missed trout strike. I was surprised not to see any reds. The weather was great all day, 80s with a mix of sun and overcast, and not too much wind. I pulled out at 4:30pm.

Sunday

Sunday I put in at the same spot at 5:30am. The water was flat calm and I was excited for some topwater action. Well, that never really happened. 2 hours of walking the dog only produced some half-hearted boils and no real bites. So I switched up to the popping cork setup and quickly caught two 15-16" trout and lost a couple more.

I took a long break to stand up in my yak and push around, scanning the flats for any sign of redfish, but they were nowhere to be found. Lots of life in the grass though; baitfish, crabs, terrapins, and stingrays were plentiful.

Went back to fishing and caught a bunch more trout. Most were the little aquarium-size specks but I also landed a few more keeper sized fish. I took my limit of 5.

Pulled out at 4pm on a very low tide. There were tiny marsh crabs all over the launch, some of them were so small you could barely see them. Very cool.

After dinner the GF and I hit the pier at the campground. It was a pretty nice pier and even has lights pointed at the water for night fishing. We did some crabbing and I jigged a little bit to see what fish were around. Had some little bluefish bite the tails off my lures but didn't hook anything. We did catch and release several blue crabs though, some of which were more than big enough to keep if we had wanted to.

It was a very nice weekend, I got to do plenty of fishing and couldn't have asked for better weather. Can't wait to go back!

Great report. Looks like a nice time!

Great report sounds like fun - seemed like everything was there except the bigger fish - love the pics

Quote Originally Posted by Striper View Post
    seemed like everything was there except the bigger fish
    My thoughts exactly.

Last time I fished this spot I caught bigger trout and some nice redfish, but they were nowhere to be found this time.

Nice trip! Looked like a fun time on the water!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Nice trip, the reds have been mostly mia from the northern neck this year.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Superb pix - thanks! The crab-dime shot was my fav.

Question, I have used those gulp minnows in the "smelt" 3'' version for big brown trout in lakes, they are by far the bst brown trout bait made. I found that those in the "jar" are much harder in texture than those sold in the packages and the trout sure can tell the difference! i wont buy them in nthe jar anymore. check it out and see if it's just me, bit the packaged ones are much softer if ya ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboat12 View Post
    Question, I have used those gulp minnows in the "smelt" 3'' version for big brown trout in lakes, they are by far the bst brown trout bait made. I found that those in the "jar" are much harder in texture than those sold in the packages and the trout sure can tell the difference! i wont buy them in nthe jar anymore. check it out and see if it's just me, bit the packaged ones are much softer if ya ask me.
    Yeah, I agree there is a difference and have heard others say the same. I don't mind the harder baits for saltwater fishing because they last longer when little tail nipping fish are around.