Thread: FOM 5th district championship tournament.

Default FOM 5th district championship tournament.

I want to thank my God for Jim and I's victory in the FOM 5th District Championship on the Potomac River yesterday. I know the source of all good things in my life and it all comes from my Father in Heaven.

One of my goals starting out at the beginning of this seasons FOM tournament trail was to win a 5th FOM tournament victory. A 5th victory to me was the same as becoming an Ace to a fighter pilot.

Prior to the FOM chick event this past June I remember talking to God about getting that 5th win. It wasn't a direct request and it wasn't a prayer for victory. It was a simple conversation on my part about a desire that I had. As many of you know by now Jim and I had a five fish limit for 25 plus pounds on the Chick River competing against the best of the best anglers on that river system. Now I am no fool. How is it that a couple of weekend anglers can go down there and put together a win like that? That's something we may dream about but it's far from being a realistic expectation.

Fast forward to the FOM 5th district championship. Having a home water advantage or not Jim and I have never came close to winning a FOM event on the Potomac River. Let alone wining a district championship competing against the top seeds from five or six eastern states.

So imagine our surprise after we found ourselves in the lead after day one of the event. On day two of the event things were not going well at all for us. At 12:30 we had three fish in the boat for maybe 8 pounds and a busted trolling motor. Plus our primary area had gotten totally trashed by too many tournament boats running in and out of the area. When things couldn't seem to get any worse I remember saying to Jim

"Jim; God has blessed us so far throughout our practice and with the lead in this tournament. I refuse to believe that God would bring us this far and then abandon us. I just refuse to believe that!
    And because God wasn't going to give up on us we aren't giving up either".

That belief was enough to keep us emotionally and mentally in the game. So we made our last strategic decision of the day to move to a bank in mattawoman creek. Once there and without the aid of a trolling motor I managed to catch a three pounder. And then literally on Jim's last cast of the day and seconds before he lifted the bait out of the water the winning fish slams his bait. It just goes to show you Gods timing is always perfect.

What I didn't know at the time was it was also a desire of Jim's to win this event more so for me than for him. He had been praying for that before our practice ever got started. It was only after we had weighed in on day two that he shared that with me.

The take away from all of this for me is this. I worship and serve an awesome living God. A God who created the heavens and the earth. A God who keeps the sun and moon in their place. A living God who has created all the wonders of the heavens and earth. Therefore I have a reasonable but humble expectation that God is fully capable and will do great things in my life. God does and will grant us the desires of our hearts. And he will do it in a such a way as to remove all doubt about how he went about getting it done. Our part is to not think more of ourselves than what we ought to and to recognize the source of our blessing. And that source my friends is the one and only living God.

God bless and see ya on the water.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Awesome fellas! Congrats!!
    Crank That Jank!

Awesome read Jim and congrats to both of you. What a great win. You got to have faith!
    Rob
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Thanks for sharing this with us Jim. No one deserves it more than you two!

Need blade baits? Click here

another great win by an awesome team. nobody works harder than y'all. well done!

Excellent job J2. Ya'll did good.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Congrats Jim...well deserved

Im really happy for you guys. You did a great job out there. Fishing was really tough and a busted tm would have mentally put some out for the count. Congrats, you guys deserve it.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Congrats on the win Jim, great win and great inspiring words.