Thread: Mercury Notice 2010?

Default Mercury Notice 2010?

Not quite sure why Mercury or my dealer never contacted me on this. Been running Premium Plus ever since brand new. This is what they told me to run. Have now switched to Optimax oil. Anyone need 3 gallons of Premium Plus.....CHEAP.?

2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Just an FYI, Larry - the guys at Watson's have always recommended DFI. When I bought the new boat it came w/ DFI recommendations in the operator's manual.

Wonder if that would apply to the older carbed 2-strokes, like my 2004 XR6?

The difference between a DFI 2-stroke and a conventional carburated or EFI 2-stroke is that the oil is NOT mixed with the gasoline. Other than a small recirculation loop, there is no gas/oil mixture flowing through the crankcase in a DFI outboard. It's mostly air with oil injected right at the critical lubrication points. An air/oil stream flows into the combustion chamber, again, not really mixing with gasoline. So with a cheap oil, you have an increased chance of carbon deposits. So I would have to say no Erik.
    Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Wonder if that would apply to the older carbed 2-strokes, like my 2004 XR6?
    Crank That Jank!

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    Just an FYI, Larry - the guys at Watson's have always recommended DFI. When I bought the new boat it came w/ DFI recommendations in the operator's manual.
    Yeah Brian. When I bought mine new in 2006, the manual, the dealer, and even Mercury rep said use the Premium Plus. What boils my a$$ is that they never contacted me of the change in 2010. Of course, warranty went out in 2011....so I guess they play a lot of folks.......as in...."hey...you never got a notice from us?...Sorry bout that....your blown motor is out of warranty and needs a new power head". $%^&^&**
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Sux, Larry - I agree. I had a 2006 Pro XS on my Tr 21X. Never heard a word from them on that either. A lil bit of good news perhaps - Harbin Marine sells the DFI in bulk and it's lots cheaper than paying for the by-the-jug option. Know it's a haul from Warrenton but it'll be closer when you're on the riva.

Yes sir. Always buy in bulk. I can get it there or at Anna Point Boat sales when I'm down there. Thanks.

[QUOTE=dirtman;83929]Not quite sure why Mercury or my dealer never contacted me on this. Been running Premium Plus ever since brand new. This is what they told me to run. Have now switched to Optimax oil. Anyone need 3 gallons of Premium Plus.....CHEAP.?

If your are looking to get ride of it "CHEAP" I will be at Lake Anna Saturday and Sunday. Doing the Fish 4 the cure TX Sunday. Sent you a FB message.
    Pat

[QUOTE=WVTERP;83942]
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
    Not quite sure why Mercury or my dealer never contacted me on this. Been running Premium Plus ever since brand new. This is what they told me to run. Have now switched to Optimax oil. Anyone need 3 gallons of Premium Plus.....CHEAP.?

If your are looking to get ride of it "CHEAP" I will be at Lake Anna Saturday and Sunday. Doing the Fish 4 the cure TX Sunday. Sent you a FB message.
    Pat
    FB message returned Patrick.

My last black motor was a 225 efi and I swear that thing would run on crisco!! Most reliable motor I ever owned. Liked fuel but it was a runner. Anybody priced Yamalube lately?