Thread: Change from 3 balde to 4 blade prop

Default Change from 3 balde to 4 blade prop

Airborne wants to know how the prop I bought from him is working out so here's the update. Holy Crap! I went from an (off the shelf) 3 blade 25P Tempest to a (tuned) 4 blade 26P Trophy on my 2007 Triton TR196 with a 200 Optimax. I have only had the boat out twice so far but I am totally amazed at the difference. I normally cruise at 4800-5000 RPMs and with the Tempest I would run in the 50 mph (GPS) range. With the Trophy I now run at least 4-5 mph faster, did not expect that. I do not know what WOT is yet. The handling is awesome, turns on a dime (as Airborne said it would), and the chine is really under control, a really nice firm ride. Have not been in any real chop yet, Aquia Creek has been like glass the two times I have been out. I am working on the hole shot now, the prop had no Performance Vent Plugs (PVS) and was slipping pretty heavily and losing it's bite in the hole shot so I put in some medium plugs and yesterday's outing showed improvement but still not where I think it should be (might need some advise here). I have some small and solid plugs now on order so I can play around with it. I still have a lot of playing around to do but at this point I am just amazed at what I have been missing in handling and performance. Thanks Airborne!

A friend is a present you give to yourself

sweet!

Thats awesome. Anytime you can improve handling is a plus.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

As a suggestion with the plugs....use the solid plugs and then drill them out on the water with a battery drill and a set of bits. This allows you infinite control over vent size and number. This is how I really dialed mine in.

Quote Originally Posted by pm0084 View Post
    As a suggestion with the plugs....use the solid plugs and then drill them out on the water with a battery drill and a set of bits. This allows you infinite control over vent size and number. This is how I really dialed mine in.
    Makes good sense, thanks.

A friend is a present you give to yourself

Shop also had me raise the motor up two inches when i went to four blade really helped with the hole shot.
    </div>