Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Havent been out too much because work has just been beyond dumb...

Lot's of small bucks, have not seen one of those bruisers that I had on film all summer.

2 dead doe's total.

Lots of activity in the mornings and evenings in the CRP.

I'm going out tonight to try and arrow one last doe before the rut... or Early muzzle loader kicks in this week. After that I'm just going to wait until it gets cooler. Almost all of the corn is cut except one 30acre or so parcel and it's killing me as the tracts around it look like a mega deer highway but I don't have permission to hunt that tree line.

I havent put bait out in several weeks at the two bait stations as they just weren't paying any attention to it except once a week Turkey Foot would come in the middle of the night, there is just too many acorns right now.

I did go tree rat hunting, shot 1 and it was full of warbler fly larvae so I am waiting until it gets colder for that too, as that just about made me puke..

Quail starts Nov 1st and I can't wait because there must be 10,000 of those things around here.

Hoping the rut really makes those big boys come back around... disappointing too see those good ones all summer and then they vanish once season opens up and all I see are little basket racks.

Sika are in full rut, co-worker went last week and saw tons and shot a small stag and a hind.

Things are pretty slow going in Augusta County for me. Four outings so far have only yielded 3 sightings, none of which had horns. Trail cameras are indicating that the bear activity on the farm I am hunting has drastically increased, and the deer activity is declining. Coupled with windy, rainy days, just hasn't been a good first week for this guy.

Bear will certainly have an impact - there certainly needs to a balance between predators and prey - but might be time to look at tagging a bear for sure.

Saw the first scrapes of the season behind my house. It's under a tree that used to get hit every year but hadn't the last 2. Glad to see some sign again this year! Not much for rubs yet though but I am just staying on the edges.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

High 50's and 60's with rain this past weekend - overcast and in the 70's today - supposedly 80 tomorrow and then dropping temps and rain/T-storms on Wed

Really hoping this weather balances out before the rut or we can see another trickle rut and just a mess this season

Had a good outing in Powhatan on opening day. Had a spike and doe walk in together, only the spike made it out. A nice 2.5-year old 8-point came through on the same trail, but I let him walk, which was not too easy. I also hunt in Augusta County where there has been increased bear activity. I'm not the biggest fan of bear meat and I also do not want to pay for the expensive taxidermy (at this time). Are there groups or individuals out there who we be interested in the meat or hide if a bear was taken for management purposes? I definitely would not want it to go to waste. Thanks!

No organization will take bear meat due to trichinosis. Already checked.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast