Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Personally, I don't mind bear meat so I can find a reason to drive to powhatan...

Now for rut report...took my uncle out hunting with me yesterday and was glad to do so (hasn't been hunting in 4-5 years). He shot a nice doe. His intended target was the nice 8 pointer in front of the doe but he put wrong dot on him (crossbow) and ended up shooting over the buck and took out the doe. Well, two things...buck was with two does and after I tracked her down she was very much in estrous as she smelled quite a bit. This was in Louisa and while I'm sure rut is not full on its definitely ramping up. I found a spot out there that had 6 rubs/scrapes within a 50 yard stretch of trail.

Thanks for the update - I think there are some doe that have come in early - just like some bass spawn early and some later

Reason I try to get you to stay in the stand all day...
    Quote Originally Posted by Striper View Post
    Thanks for the update - I think there are some doe that have come in early - just like some bass spawn early and some later
    Crank That Jank!

Yeah I am certain that they aren't all coming in once. Just like any other animal I think some are early some late...I was always under the impression that the younger ones come in earlier but what he got yesterday was a very mature doe with what was a mature buck. I guess that's not always the case.

My buddy Ryan saw a nice buck Saturday morning that was standing over a bedded doe in a field as he was riding down the road. It was still dark but he drove back to check it out. I thought it was early but I guess she could have been in heat and he was tending her. Interesting because I haven't seen much rut activity yet where I'm hunting.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Have not seen any rut activity, but we have seen the six pointer that my brother shot this am acting weird and searching a couple of times near where we park, like he was looking for a hot doe in the area. So far, we have a doe and that 6 ptr. in the freezer. Things are about to heat up if we ever get back to some cold nights and this warm weather goes away.
    Last edited by dirtman; 10-15-2014 at 07:39 AM.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I saw a buck chasing a doe last night on my way back to the house. Not sure how big because it was dark but could tell the 2nd deer had its head down and was noticeably bigger than the front deer. Looked like a chase to me.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Pleanty of Rubs and scrapes in P.W and Fairfax Counties. Depending on ratio bucks last week breaking out of Bach groups w/ the Mature Bucks actually waiting for that first doe. Some giants on trail cam but no actual pushing seen. Some are claiming to seeing chase but all young 1.5 - 2.5 yr olds. Always see them mid october wandering thru doe groups but not pushing.Little earlier activity so far this year as far as the begining of the phases but thinking it will just be as spread out as it has been for the last few years.

It's on here in Montgomery Cty. Some serious chasing going on all over. Every buck I've seen the past 2 weks had big, full necks. A couple of bad traffic accidents caused by deer encounters. Y'all be careful!

Chased one for 3-400 yards the other day got my nose all up in it, but she wasn't ready and I got smacked lol
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast