Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Default 2014 Virginia Rut & Deer Activity Reports

Lets kick 2014 off with your observations from the field.

Reports from two good sources - young bucks have been nose down trailing deer and pushing them hard. Now its way early for the rut but obviously mother nature can always have a few oddities and we all know to expect some variances. Just really didn't expect to see this from two different location in Goochland county. Other thing is rubs and scrapes in these areas have just popped up overnight this week - activity is certainly on the rise right now.

Have you guys seen any activity.

If you arent a member and want to share your observations, email me at brian@va-outdoors.com
    Last edited by Brian; 10-03-2014 at 10:21 PM.

I watched a good size buck trail and catch up to a small buck friday. Once he csught him they circled each other 4 or 5 times then the smaller one bolted and the bigger one was on his butt after him.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Pulled my cards before heading in to the stand for an afternoon hunt, deer are certainly more active this past week. Mature and young bucks as well as doe hitting a community scrape in daylight and night hours. Tonight there was heavy feeding traffic in the oaks and in to the food plot. Was good to see a lot of activity on opening day. this front certainly had the deer feeding a little earlier than normal with temps dropping.

From Goochland along the James, several nice buck still in a loose bachelor group with a solid mature 8 pointer peeling off and following a yearling doe - nothing more than some light like tending grunts.

Here are the day time checking out my mock scrape - this is the third year this scrape has been active

Same mock scrape from previous season - deer will continually hit the same community scrape - you just have to keep it active. This is just from a different angle with the camera

Had two bucks - could clearly see them to determine age or size - feeding in towards me on an oak flat. The one buck kept trying to push the other off a few times. Wish OI could have seen them clearly to know the age etc. The bucks over the weekend were most likely 1.5 year olds still in loose bachelor groups.

I have see one rub and that's about it. I have heard from a friend of mine that he saw a nice buck mounting a doe already during a drive down a road. However knowing this guy, a big blow hard, I'm not sure if I believe him.

My son saw a group of bucks behind my house Monday evening so some are still in their bachelor groups.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Trail cameras still showing younger bucks in loose bachelor groups. The bucks and doe are still crushing all the acorns - its allowing my food plot to come in nicely though. Still seeing some mature bucks with a very young buck hanging around but I cant see that lasting.

I did get a series of pics of twins still nursing from a doe

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast