Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My 2014 Deer Season Journal

Sounds like you maybe onto something. Courios of how the land lays. Generally don't focus on primary food plots do to the feeding habits tend to be early or late. Late is ok because I can be in stand waiting but early I'm afraid to move them out. I like setting in travel areas from food plots to bedding areas.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

So if striper has good activity in his plots im guessing im about a week ahead of him.

"They call Mike the tin man, not because he has an aluminum boat but because he has no heart..." ~ Squire

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Sounds like you maybe onto something. Courios of how the land lays. Generally don't focus on primary food plots do to the feeding habits tend to be early or late. Late is ok because I can be in stand waiting but early I'm afraid to move them out. I like setting in travel areas from food plots to bedding areas.
    I am with you Carl. I have no way to get in without bumping deer from the food areas or in transitioning to bedding areas. I am just better off getting in around 8:30AM or later.

Today I ended up having 3 deer come in - all were yearlings. I had a button buck come in and take the same trail as others which is about 5 feet off my ladder stand, through some thick stuff. This button was one of the set of twins I have been seeing for several months. The doe stayed over in the scrub pines and cedars. He stayed in the plot for a few minuted and then worked off. The adjoining land owner was out on a four wheeler and bumped him and the doe back over to me as they fed towards his fields. They wanted in that field no mater what. The button fed back through a second time before heading off to the fields.

Within a few minutes a second button buck came in from the opposite direction, did the same thing and then took off on an almost identical path. I was hoping to tag a doe today but didnt have anything but these three yearlings come through.

A few other thoughts based on the cameras and what I saw.

The mature doe, for the most part, have clearly booted off this years offspring. I still have one doe and fawn that loosely stay together. The twins I have been seeing used to stick close together, but even they arent afraid to stay separated as they feed in different directions. Also I am assuming the other land owner has driven his four wheeler around his fields at 5PM before as it has happened to me one other Saturday - plus these deer didnt really seem to care too much. I guess they knew his pattern, plus these were yearling which havent been to skittish to begin with.

Here is tyodays map

Red circles are my mock scrapes
    Star is my primary stand
    I shaded the previous deer movements so that you can see those

Name:  I_00008.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  919.5 KB I had a little luck with mock scrapes this year. How did your season end Striper?

This was a Powhatan pic. I never saw him in the day time but had numerous pics in the early AM

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123