Thread: It's a mystery?

Default It's a mystery?

How is it you can scan a lake that's less than two miles long and 1/4 mile at the widest point and not see game fish let alone a single carp out of a thousand carp: some of which are 40 inches long and weigh as much as 30 plus pounds? Structure is no problem. Crappie sometimes. Bass and carp? It's a mystery to me. One of the reasons I am still skeptical of "fish finders" no matter how much they cost.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Cone angles and settings Jim. Btw, one of the reasons I went Lowrance is their frequency options with the latest versions. You would be amazed at difference between 800 and 455 mega hertz based on depth.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Fish defenses have picked up on all this scanning and have come out with a stealth scale that leaves them virtually invisible to sonar
    2017 Ironman winner

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Fish defenses have picked up on all this scanning and have come out with a stealth scale that leaves them virtually invisible to sonar
    Carl, you must have read the same article I did in this month's Carp Digest Monthly. Fascinating!

Carp Hyper Imaging Reflux Patterns will counter this.

A friend is a present you give to yourself

Also Jim, if you saw this in a small lake, I've seen it where motor noise will actually push fish/bait away from the boat so you will not see them on your screen; can scatter or drive them away. Like this scenario; when i worked w/ DGIF, and we did electrofishing of small streams and creeks w/ backpack or tote equipment, we would hit the juice and essentially herd all the biomass upstream until we hit a riffle. We wouldn't see anything for long stretches then it would just be chaos, at that riffle; biomass, multi-species, quantity/quality, fish everywhere! I have had your same experience happen to me on Lake Brittle a couple of times, but thats a really small lake, only 77 acres. When I tracked the walleye there, I would putt around locating them and there would be nothing showing on the electronics.
    Last edited by ExFishHead; 01-11-2015 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Duh!!! Spelling.... Ugh..
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by ExFishHead View Post
    Also Jim, if you saw this in a small lake, I've seen it where motor noise will actually push fish/bait away from the boat so you will not see them on your screen; can scatter or drive them away. Like this scenario; when i worked w/ DGIF, and we did electrofishing of small streams and creeks w/ backpack or tote equipment, we would hit the juice and essentially herd all the biomass upstream until we hit a riffle. We wouldn't see anything for long stretches then it would just be chaos, at that riffle; biomass, multi-species, quantity/quality, fish everywhere! I have had your same experience happen to me on Lake Brittle a couple of times, but thats a really small lake, only 77 acres. When I tracked the walleye there, I would putt around locating them and there would be nothing showing on the electronics.
    You just have to know your target species and guess where they are likely to be at the time you are looking for them. Then don't exceed your electronics' ability to display them.

I have no problem finding, catching sometimes is an issue.

Last edited by Wayne P.; 01-11-2015 at 02:37 PM.

I believe down is totally different than side. The unit on your console is awesome. It showed my striper in at Duck in Hole and we wore them out