Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HD or flasher?

When I was ya'lls age and fished in air temps 20 to 25 degrees routinely the "mechanical" flasher proved to be much more reliable than LCD units in cold conditions. It's one of the reasons I went to it years ago. When I mark fish with my flasher I normally catch what I see = a great deal of confidence. Flasher have the signal strength to punch through heavy grass at most depths and still read the bottom. It shows me bottom content and ditches that other wise would go unnoticed. Other advantages are visual. It's easy for me to see the signal returns under any conditions. Precise depth control and the unit is immune to speed and motion of the boat. I have a high and low power option, multiple cone degree (11 to 19 degree options) etc, a bottom lock feature and so forth. Depth Finders are tools we use to catch more fish. So I believe that there is still a time and place for old school technology in this new golden age of electronics. That being said its time to embrace the new technology. If I am going to make a 5000.00 investment I want a reliable unit that will withstand the conditions and elements we often put it through. I want factory support for at least 7 years or more and great customer service. Gen 1 is no longer supported by lowrance. In two or three more years gen 2 won't be either. Then there is the functionality of each manufacturers units. Visual clarity, screen size and shape, plus capabilities and limitations of each ones technologies. Not all HD, Imaging, and chirp technologies are the same. Each one is different and each manufacture has patent rights to it.

What's going through my mind right now is which technology and or manufacture has a unit who's picture quality is the least impacted by "motion". A pontoon boat is pretty much a stable fishing platform. Bass boats get rocked by wakes and waves etc. so when I am an area and the boat is bobbing up and down by waves and wakes how much picture distortion am I going to experience? It's something I need to dig into a little more.

Lastly: my purpose of any investment like this is to catch more fish and be more competitive. Influencing factors are where and how it will be used the majority of the time IE: lakes and reservoirs, shallow river systems etc. what will be the best configuration and employment of said technology. HB and flasher up front and lowrance at the console etc? Capabilities and limitations of each manufactures technology. User friendly? Comprehension of the technology and how best to use it and employ it. Then there's the learning curve to get up to speed with it. I admit I am in the catch up mode and I have a lot of work to do. Thoughts?
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

For what's it's worth.

Planes, ships, and tanks don't win wars. People do.
    Knowing human behavior and how we interface with, and use technology is the overwhelming factor in determining how successful we are at getting the most out of it and using it to our benefit. Depth finders are no different. Jim Hemby totally gets it. He integrates the technology into his vast knowledge and fishing experience, then uses it to enhance what he already knows= more fish in the boat and consistency.
    So many buy the stuff for its entertainment value or perhaps for social status. I don't know. What I do know is there are very few that are willing to learn it and use it effectively. I don't plan on being one of em lol.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Nothing beats a flasher unit for showing multiple depths at the same time. LCR units have to record depths as they change and that takes movement to do so.

You have four choices with the imaging technology.
    Lowrance, Garmin, Raymarine, and Humminbird have units that image downward and sideways.

The best benefit of the imaging technology is showing you what the bottom really looks like and why you catch fish where you catch them. Using that information, you can quickly look for similar places to lessen the time developing a pattern.
    With the side looking imaging you can cover a lot more bottom with each pass and not be limited to what is directly below you. You can quickly check potential areas and not waste time fishing where there are no fish. You can practice for a tournament without doing any catching.

Additionally of you want the side looking imaging, get the largest display you can afford since display width is the most imporatant factor. That is because what is displayed is based on the coverage range you set. Down looking imaging and 2D sonar is based on the depth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12