Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storage Decison/Dilemma

Default Storage Decison/Dilemma

So, through some diligent (and resourceful, if I do say so myself!) searching, i have come up with 4 decent options for storing my boat this year, and all of them have electricity for a hookup. Here are my options, let me know what you think.

1. Swan Creek
    - Cost: $125/month (works out to ~$1350 for the year)
    - Distance: ~12 miles (this is the closest option to where I live)
    - Considerations: this option is actually a wet boat slip for the "season" (April-November). "Off-season" i can still keep my boat/trailer there, but it drops to around $90/month.
    - Drawbacks: This would require me to buy an additional cover for my boat for on-water coverage. Although this is the closest to me, it's the farthest from many of the better areas (Woman, Chix, Aquia, etc.)

-- Important revelation upon visiting this marina...she failed to disclose that there is NO RAMP THERE. So, on-water slip storage is the only option, and i'd have to launch from somewhere else to get it there. NOT A VIABLE OPTION.

2. Ft. Washington (Piscataway Creek)
    - Cost: $1250/year
    - Distance: ~14 miles
    - Considerations: Not every spot in the lot has electric hookups...he's going to 'make sure' I would be next to an outlet.
    - Drawbacks: required to pay for the full year. Also a good distance from many of the good fishing areas.

-- Upon visiting this marina, it was immediately apparent that this place is a HOT MESS. Just crap lying around everywhere, and he didn't even know where the electrical outlets were (and he's the manager of the facility!). Nice guy, but... He even told me that he could put me there, but he couldn't guarantee that someone wouldn't park in front of my boat, thereby blocking me in (???????). Oh, and the $1250 is only the seasonal price...$1950 is for the full year. NOT AN OPTION.

3. Smallwood (Mattowoman Creek)
    - Cost: $720/year for dry storage, or....
    - $1000/year for a wet slip spot with free dry storage for my trailer - Distance: ~29 miles
    - Considerations: Great area, central to many of the most productive areas on the river.
    - Drawbacks: much farther, roughly 40-45 minutes each way. Also have to pay for a full year.

-- Upon visiting, this is a really nice facility. Super-helpful staff, nice boat lot (w/ electric), and for the additional $280/year (above the $720/year for dry storage), I can get 24/7 access and a dock slip to use as I want. I also get access to other facilities in the park (slip-owner parking, private bathrooms and shower facilities, etc.). Heavily leaning towards this option right now.

4. Leesylvania (Neabsco Creek)
    - Cost: $1250/year
    - Distance: ~26 miles
    - Considerations: Also a great location, central to many decent areas.
    - Drawbacks: Also a lot farther, roughly 40-45 minutes each way. Must pay for the full year.

-- Yet to visit, will check it out this weekend.
    Last edited by JustOneMoreCast; 04-21-2015 at 02:35 PM. Reason: visited 3 of them this past weekend, and very glad I did.
    </div>

You can park it at my house. Electric hookup. Water for wash down. Maintenance available. 1 hr to river or Anna. $20,000 per year. Paid up front.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Would you haul all your gear back n forth? You will need a hell of a good cover to keep it dry while you are not around. Personally I like my boat where I can see it. Allows me to maintain all the little things. But I also drag it all over.

CHUCK n DUCK

Personally I wouldn't store my boat 24/7 in the water. Too many potential problems with that. Except for little lake Caroline where I live, every fishing location from me is 40 to 1 hour each way. I'd go with the one the opened the earliest and closed the latest.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Chris, I assume your situation keeps you from being able to keep your boat at your residence.

With those choices,(granted I have no Idea where these places are, just going with your info) I would probably go with Ft, Washington. It's a dry slip close to home, your porbably use to trailering to the "better" areas of the river anyway. If the boat is in a wet slip and you decide to take it to another body of water or even another ramp on the river, it just adds one more step to the process because youd have to load it on to the trailer.

Also for me I would like it to be as close to home as possible, I like to piddle with the boat and work on things, and it makes it that much easier to swing by and just check on it.
    </div>

Tough call, but I would not pick the option that leaves the boat in the water.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

Quote Originally Posted by dirtman View Post
    ...$20,000 per year. Paid up front.
    Thanks Larry. You just can't put a price on this kind of friendship.

Quote Originally Posted by bill1wts View Post
    Personally I like my boat where I can see it.
    Not an option.

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    Personally I wouldn't store my boat 24/7 in the water. Too many potential problems with that. I'd go with the one the opened the earliest and closed the latest.
    Thanks Jim, good thoughts. The leading candidates would give me access to my boat 24/7, which is very important to me as well. I don't want to have to wait for them to open, nor do I want to be worried about getting off the water in time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos976 View Post
    I would probably go with Ft, Washington. It's a dry slip close to home, your porbably use to trailering to the "better" areas of the river anyway. Also for me I would like it to be as close to home as possible, makes it that much easier to swing by and just check on it.
    That's a big part of the decision for me...weighing the value of having it close enough to "swing by," against having it right near the more productive water.

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    Tough call, but I would not pick the option that leaves the boat in the water.
    I won't be leaving it on the water 24/7, but both options with the wet slip come with dry storage for my trailer, so I could technically have the best of both worlds...leave it in the wet slip when i'm fishing for a couple of days in a row, then pull it out and leave it on land for the balance of the week. Big question becomes do these options have electricity in the dry storage? I know Smallwood does, but not sure if Swan Creek does. That may be the deciding factor.
    </div>

Just sell the boat, solves lots of problems....be a backseater on the Potomac series and learn to fish....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Just sell the boat, solves lots of problems....be a backseater on the Potomac series and learn to fish....
    Good talk Russ, good talk.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    There's the love! LOL
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast