Thread: Picked up another of those MEAN fish today......

Default Picked up another of those MEAN fish today......

Hit the beach area at Aquia Landing and caught this nice fella on a white chatterbait. I had another one on for about 15 seconds and lost him. Then a bad storm started moving in on me and i had to make a mad dash for the shore!!!.....Get out there and get em!!

This guy went 10 pounds 12 ounces and is my best snake to date, i believe

Please disregard date on picture...forgot to set proper date...((Name:  4-30-15...10lb 12oz Aquia snakehead.JPG
Views: 389
Size:  212.2 KB

nice one!
    I'm about to play my Ace

I'm curious how you're targeting these this time of year? How many bass are you catching (this time of year) while trying to catch the snakes?

I only ask, because when I was fishing the beach area a couple Saturday's ago, there were probably 60 boats out there, for 120 anglers or so, and not a single NSH was caught (that I'm aware of).

Is it now a timing/temp thing vs 2-weeks ago, or are you doing something specifically different to target the NSH?

I can't speak for Snakechaser Eric but the one I caught two weeks ago was in very skinny water over pads. In about a foot of water. These fish tend to bite in very shallow water 1-2 feet.
    Rob
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Rob kinda hit the nail on the head....the two snakeheads i have caught were right up on the shore (or just off shore but still in very shallow water)...in the summer i throw a frog 99% of the time but a friend (on this forum) put me on a white chatterbait early in the season and it has paid off for me this year!....the rest just has to do with a little luck. Last year i caught my first one on a frog on May 8. My friend, Bill Rysanek, got one over 12lbs, and one over 14 pounds on the same day (first week of May) on the white chatterbait.

i did catch a real chunky bass yesterday...but thats just a mistake....im always looking for these toothy critters.

Hope this helps and you catch a monster.

Mike

Eric...another note. Snakeheads will hit just about anything a largemouth will hit....i just like the frog topwater action come summertime...just recently a friend showed me a pic of a nice one that took a red rattle trap. i have seen huge ones taken on soft plastics and cranks too...really i beleive that if you fish shallow, especially while the water offshore is still cool, you will better your chances...again i like having a little luck with me too!!!

Mike

Nice fish indeed. I got my personal best on a white chatter bait. Glad to see you guys are starting to catch.