Thread: Tips for the James/Chick

Default Tips for the James/Chick

Tide: If I could teach you just one thing about fishing the James/Chick River systems it would be this: the James/Chick rivers are extremely tide sensitive. If you want to be consistent you'd better be fishing the last four hours of outgoing tide and the first hour of incoming tide.
    It's not impossible to catch fish on an incoming / high tide. However it is extremely difficult to figure out where to be, and when to be there under high tide conditions. Even then it can be challenging to figure out the bite and it takes a lot of time on the water to gain that kind of experience.

To keep yourself in the last four hours of outgoing tide isn't difficult on that river system, but it does require a run and gun approach. It's something you are willing to do or not; thats your call. The other approach is to homestead in a good area and let the bite come to you. If you choose this strategy you need to understand that you are still waiting on a low tide condition for the bite to turn on.

Presentation: one thing I have learned over the years is that bass are bass. It doesn't matter where in the country you are fishing: bass react to the same types of baits, techniques and presentations here as they do in Texas, Florida and Wisconsin. That said you want to down size and go as light as possible when fishing the James/Chick River systems. Choose the presentation thats appropriate for the cover and structure you are targeting; and keep it relative to how strong or weak the bass bite is. Shades of blues are main stays on the James/Chick, plus crank baits and top water are always producers there as well. There are times when other color choices are better; my advice is to start experimenting if you aren't getting the bites. There are always some bass biting or willing to bite. If you are fishing during ideal conditions and you aren't getting bit then sometime is seriously wrong with the presentation. The number one cause of anglers not catching fish most anywhere in the country is because they are fishing the way they want to and not necessarily the way the bass want to feed.

I hope this helps everyone catch a few more fish and your questions are
    always welcomed. Good luck and God bless.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I agree with you on the tides Jim with the exception of the Spring time. I have noticed this year as well as years past that my best bite in the Spring is on incoming tide all the way up to high. I've actually struggled on low water the last couple times out in the Spring but the incoming bite has been strong. As we progress to summer you are spot on. The last 2 hours of outgoing and first hour of incoming are definitely the best.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Agreed Eric and you are spot on. Thanks for sharing. Having never fished the chick during spawn I would have failed to mention that.

I will add that the post spawn feed will be begining soon. The first wave of feeders will be stressed from the riggers of spawn and could die easily on you for no apparent reason. Exceptional fish care is called for during the next few weeks to protect thoes James/Chick donkeys being caught.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

That's just as good as it gets from two of the best