Thread: Kerr: Va Elite 60 recap.

Default Kerr: Va Elite 60 recap.

Jim Sutton practiced over Memorial Day weekend for our first Va Elite 60 tournament. His best five was 14 pounds plus which was awesome for us on Kerr in May. Fri May 29th was our official practice day ending a week of off limits. I couldn't get off work so Jim practiced again for us. I drove down Friday night. My Friday started at 0200 that morning and ended at 10:00 that night. Got up again at 0230 Saturday morning; fished hard all day and got home at about 18:30. Not bad for a guy in his sixties lol. Sorry, couldn't help tooting my own horn a little. It's a blessing from God that I can still do that.

Of course the pattern changed on Sat and everything Jim had found in practice changed. Pretty typical right? So at 12:30 we found ourselves struggling with just 3 small fish in the boat. Kerr was going to start generating at about 2:PM on Sat so we decided to go to a high percentage feeding area and wait it out. Bottom line: we finished getting our limit and preceded to cull all of em out in a matter of 1 and 1/2 hour. Our day ended with 12:19 pounds and 25th place. I will also note that the sensitivity of our JB Rods played a big factor in getting that done and that's not sizzle.

My history on Kerr goes back to the 90's. Mostly fishing the six man teams in April. The rest of it is with FOM tournaments fishing post spawn patterns in May. Never having more than one day of practice to prepare for a tournament; or to find a big bass pattern, makes it a tough nut to crack. How I wish I had three or four days to practice on Kerr: but don't we all lol.

I learned a lot in that 1-1/2 hour about Kerr. Matter of fact; I learned so much that it will change the whole way I approach practice and tournaments in the future on Kerr. I am not going to share it publicly because I am in no hurry to help my competition beat me lol. But I am more than willing to share it with you in a PM or face book messaging. I will say this though; to catch fish on Kerr all you need is a couple of Carolina Rigs and fish as many points as you can. Doing that will catch you a lot of fish.

Good luck out there and God bless.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

very nice recap, jim. my experience on kerr has been that the moving bait bite picks up significantly when they're pulling water BUT (emph added) you hafta have a lil wind. wind blowing across points is best. points, much as you stated above, are the key structure in these conditions.

Thinking of trying Kerr in July if you can send me few pointers would be great.
    </div>

good job and thanks for the recap
    </div>