Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Clues about fishing the Potomac

jim great point on tide running, can be particularly effective where the bites are few and far between. I did this a little last year with decent success, started on arkendale and worked my way back up the river.

jim should we touch on the inside edge bite??
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    Clue # 3. Fishing the Tides... What would you do?
    I definitely consider the tides, but I normally don't plan to tide run the Potomac. I fish the Potomac with a completely different approach than other tidal rivers.

I will have a couple more posts on how to fish an area through the tide cycle, and talk about ebb tides, spring tides, and "slack tides". You guys are already contributing great advice as well. Should be helpful to them that only fish the potomac a few times a year. tks
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I have logged alot of cast on the Potomac in my 52 years.
    Avoid windy muddy water at all times. Seek out the cleanest water in the area if there is any. The wind will blow the mud from one side of the river or the other. Play the wind more than the tide. NE wind fish Maryland. Southwest wind fish Va.

Also if you're creek fishing what is the tide doing to the mud? Is the water getting cleaner on an in-coming? Or is the main river muddy causing your creek to muddy as the water enters the creek?

Default Tides

Here are the tides you need to be aware of for all tidal river fishing. It has a lot to do in how you fish on a given day and in planning your tournament strategy. The other factors that will either exacerbate or counter the effects of these different tides are heavy rains, and wind direction and speed.
    Spring tides: Both the sun and the moon affect the rising of the waters. When the sun and moon are lined up (during a new moon and full moon), their effect is cumulative, causing water to rise higher and fall lower than average. These are called spring tides and they have nothing to do with the season, as evidenced by the fact they occur every two weeks.
    Neap tides are especially weak tides. When the sun and moon are at right angles (sometimes called "at the quarters") their total effect is less and the tidal range (the difference between high and low) is less. High tide is not as high and low tide is not as low. These are called neap tides.
    Slack Tide: Period of time when the tide is changing from one direction to another. Actually there is no such thing as a Slack Tide but it easier to describe that condition using that term we all have come to understand. This is not to be confused with a slack water condition. A slack water condition is when the tidal flow loses energy and comes to a stop. For the subject / condition of a Slack Tide itís important to understand it because it will affect your fishing.
    In the next post I will cover a few different approaches to fishing each different tidal condition.

jim you are a wealth of knowledge!
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

I dont know about all of that but you are a kind man JayT. TKS

Default Knowledge

I agree with JayT that Jim is a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for the informative posts!!

Default WOW

Man you can learn a lot from Jim..I am so thankful to be a part of this site.
    Kris
    John 3:16

Jim you must contnue on I've been on the river for 20+ and sum of what you have gone over I knew but alot I just hadn't paid as much mind to. The slack time is what I need to work on. I beleive that pending where your fishing they just shut down in that area, untill tide starts to moving again. In areas where the tide pulls hard I have found that if you start slowly moving to the there next staging or ambush haunch that they move over to on the switch of direction to maintain the tide break on them. I think I said that right.:Smoking:
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast