Thread: Big one from 3 July

Default Big one from 3 July

I picked this one up on Friday afternoon at about 1745. I was down south on an incoming flood tide. Got him on the marsh edge on a black soft plastic buzz frog. It's the first real big one I got this year. Overcast conditions made for a great frog day, I fished from around 1300-1800 until my thumb was raw enough to call it quits. I got a 6 lb bass way up under a dock under a pontoon boat on a senko, I thought it was a blue cat initially because it was tough to maneuver out of it's haunt - it could be the biggest potomac bass I ever caught, only got a handful that were around the same size. Sporadic grass with a variety of grasses (hydrilla, milfoil, eel grass, etc.) produced best for bass.

I saw a few fry balls of SH as well with protecting parents. The fry balls seemed to be primarily located in the thickest of milfoil beds in the densest, most miserable and difficultly navigated cover. Regardless of the hundreds of myths surrounding SH, they don't usually aggressively and recklessly protect their fry against lures dragged through them. I have casted through fry more times to count and on Friday, I had my first aggressive follow to the boat of a protective parent. No strike, it spooked at the side of the canoe. This was the first day this year I left the Potomac feeling good after maybe 20 trips this year and I only had one really solid trip last year. Maybe I have high expectations but it seems like a steady decline for predatory target species since 2011/2012.

No length/weight for the SH. Right around 15 lbs I believe. I got a couple that I weighed in the past right at that and right over it and this one was equally if not more impressive. It slipped back into the water somehow after a few photos, funny how they end up doing that.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Nice one man
    I'm about to play my Ace

Great Day on the water. Congrats.

Two big fish! Nice.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

great fish, dood!

That is one beautiful snakehead!!!!! WAY TO GO.........

Wow, I haven't been here for a little while, but still wanted to say congrats on a real nice one. What did you do with it?

Now I dont have but a couple snakehead under my belt but the biggest one I caught was under its fry on an Arkansas shiner zoom super fluke. Given my inability to catch fish regularly I'd almost certainly say it was my fishing skill or presentation that enticed the fish.