Thread: Which mapping card to choose?

Default Which mapping card to choose?

I'm posting on a couple boards I frequent just to get as many opinions as I can. I've never had an aftermarket mapping card. I can't decide on Navionics plus or Lowrance maps. I have a networked HDS7/HDS5 with SS. I's fishing mainly at Lake Anna (hope to get on the Potomac soon), but I'll also be fishing some in Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and other bodies in VA. I just don't know enough about the technology to make a good decision! Looking for your help. From what I've read, I'm leaning toward Navionics, but even the I don't know which version to choose! You guys have any experience or thoughts on it?
    Kitz
    2013 Nitro Z-7 DC, 150 Pro XS

You can view the current Navionics maps on their website's Web App.
    There are two of them.
    Nautical Charts is Navionics data and Sonar Charts is user generated data.
    When you visit the site and click on the app, there is a circle at the lower left of the panel.
    When the circle is grey, that is Nautical Charts, when it is blue, that is Sonar Charts.
    You have to be zoomed in somewhat to view the Sonar Charts.
    Some have been recording sonar logs for Sonar Charts for the hot side of Anna.
    New data is added daily "somewhere".
    A new purchase includes a year of Freshest Data updates, so as long as you keep your subscription current, you can always have current mapping.
    Their best product is Navionics+ and the current version is preloaded with US and Canada maps and can have Sonar Charts added when updated.
    If you want, you can customize that card by deleting all the data and only download the locations you want
    The other versions of Navionics are regional (Hotmaps Premium and Hotmaps Platinum)
    I have all three products and I use the Sonar Charts program with my Humminbirds and with Vexilar Sonarphone.

Thomas can tell you if the Lowrance mapping is equal or better for a particular location.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    I'm posting on a couple boards I frequent just to get as many opinions as I can. I've never had an aftermarket mapping card. I can't decide on Navionics plus or Lowrance maps. I have a networked HDS7/HDS5 with SS. I's fishing mainly at Lake Anna (hope to get on the Potomac soon), but I'll also be fishing some in Maryland, South Carolina, Georgia, and other bodies in VA. I just don't know enough about the technology to make a good decision! Looking for your help. From what I've read, I'm leaning toward Navionics, but even the I don't know which version to choose! You guys have any experience or thoughts on it?
    Don't waste you time with anything else, go Navionics.

Thanks for the replies guys. If I go Navionics Plus, will I need to update the card right away, or should it be a simple plug and play? I've never update the software for my HDS units either....I'm guessing I probably should.
    Kitz
    2013 Nitro Z-7 DC, 150 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by Kitz View Post
    Thanks for the replies guys. If I go Navionics Plus, will I need to update the card right away, or should it be a simple plug and play? I've never update the software for my HDS units either....I'm guessing I probably should.

You get a year of Freshest Data updates. You have to register and do an update to start that year. If you do not within 60 days, you loose that capability.
    Additionally Sonar Charts does not come on the card, you have to get that with an update.
    Sonar Charts gives you additional maps that are not Navionics and may have better detail/coverage for a particular location.

THfishing is offline I spend more time posting then working!

Definitely the Navionics preloaded plus that will cover the whole U.S. and Canada on one card. So the Nav preloaded plus has every nautical chart in the U.S. and Canada ( nav info) then you can download SonarChart of different bodies of water that you want the 1ft contours. Its a 16GB card you can add a pile of SonarChart lakes to the card. The Lowrance Insight program doesn't have nowhere the detail the Nav card does because it's only drawing from Low users so its based on participation. Where Nav is drawing users with Low, Hum, Ray... so it allows for more participation.