Every hunter dreams of some kind of food plot for hunting wildlife – whether its deer, turkey, quail or rabbits. *But not everyone has farm equipment to make that possible, you may have 30-90 acres tucked away somewhere, and have cleared a nice half acre food plot like I have. *its a lot of Saturdays […]
The post $14.99 Versus Heartache and Wasted Money appeared first on VA Outdoors - Virginia's Premier Hunting, Fishing, and Outdoors Source.

Every hunter dreams of some kind of food plot for hunting wildlife – whether its deer, turkey, quail or rabbits. *But not everyone has farm equipment to make that possible, you may have 30-90 acres tucked away somewhere, and have cleared a nice half acre food plot like I have. *its a lot of Saturdays and sweat to make it happen too. *Once everything is cleared, it always seems like its just time to jump in and throw seed down, and I have done this a few times and learned the hardware when the plot never fully developed. Unfortunately this isnt common among hunters and early land managers.
But over the years I have learned patience – though it rarely shows – and a lot about soil conditions from another VA Outdoors contributor Mike Chipouras. *Those that know Mike, know that he studies everything – and I mean everything – both for his job and for his hobbies. *Mikes knowledge of soil conditions and what to do to make improvements have helped me tremendously. *But more importantly it has reinforced several aspects of developing food plots for wildlife that we preach here constantly. *And that is sunlight, soil conditions and proper seed contact/depth of planting.
It took one or two mistakes for me to truly understand the value of the soil conditions – and the importance of doing a soil test. *This season I have been working on opening up two new food plots for deer, of which both will be wheat and clover plots eventually. *Both locations have the tree canopy removed and the ground cleared. *The last thing I did was to pull soil samples from each plot and drop them off at my local Southern States store.
Soil test are about $14.99 each, and take maybe a week to get the results in the mail or email. *Not only do you get a report on the conditions, but you also receive recommended corrective measures to take to improve the conditions based on what you are trying to grow. *Plus you can get all you need to work the soil directly from Southern States. Make your corrections, give it time and retest again in maybe 3 to 4 months to see how it is progressing. *Do the soil test, spend the $14.99 and don’t make the mistakes that I did when I first started out – don’t waste the time or money if your seed isn’t going to grow well.
Click the images below to see the full size results of my two soil samples

The post $14.99 Versus Heartache and Wasted Money appeared first on VA Outdoors - Virginia's Premier Hunting, Fishing, and Outdoors Source.

Click here for more...