Thread: Aylett to Walkerton-Mattaponi

Default Aylett to Walkerton-Mattaponi

Did this float again this Saturday. I will likely never do it again. The first five to six miles are bearable. The last four are horrible. The water around Walkerton seem to be always at a standstill. It is almost as if the tide just draims below the river bed instead of pulling out towards or pushing in from the sea.

The fishing is not so good for bigger fish. Bring an ultra lite rod to keep from getting bored. I lost two jigs to solid fish but I know one was a swamp donkey and suspect that other was too. Got a good look at the second one as he emerged with the jig deep in his mouth. With one jerk of his head, he severed the line and had me screaming. I hate those things if they hit in numbers, but they are ferocious fighters that can liven up a horrible day.

Nothing real notable to report other than I caught my first bass on the Strike King Structure bug. I will fish this some more and get a pack of Sweet Beavers to compare and contrast.

As a consolation trip, I hit the Pamunkey under the 301 bridge. Wacky rigged worms are doing it along that stretch. Try bubblegum color.
    Last edited by PokerFace; 08-10-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Thanks for the report

Thanks for the report Poker - I get down that way from time to time and am tempted to do that float or the one from Zoar to Aylett- So far, I have caught shad at the Aylett dock but never taken the yak. Maybe the best trip would be to take the big boat and go for cats out of Walkerton- You have been most helpful.

I have a buddy that lives near Walkerton and puts in at Aylett sometimes just to paddle up or down and then back. He seems to do ok in fall and spring. I have taken the Yak to shad fish. Once I did real well. This year not so much. I had better luck returning the next day just to bank fish.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Those paddle trips with no flow are brutal, the trip from Westview to Maidens on the James is that way

Quote Originally Posted by Striper View Post
    Those paddle trips with no flow are brutal, the trip from Westview to Maidens on the James is that way
    I'm pretty sure I did this float about three or four years ago. It was a big miscalculation of time due to little current. I think we took out around ten and had to drive back to the put in. I then drove two to two and a half hours home. It was miserable.

The Mattaponi float isn't quite as bad as that one. I also think a better fisherman might have caught a few more than me. Still the Matt strikes me as to living up to its reputation of a catfish rather than bass river.
    Thank God For Rednecks

I've put in at the aylett ramp twice this past week was a great trip. White perch bite trolling the center and saw many huge stripers jump. Caught 6 stripers and probably around 12 or so white perch. All striper were under 18" but the big ones definitely out there. Striper hitting top water and perch on small crank baits trolling worth the trip.

Meant to mention I use a small 8ft plastic boat with trolling motor, I noticed many flat spots in the current so mattaponi not the most ideal for trying to float but I prefer the slack current for fishing. The pamunkey river would be my go to for a kayak float but the current there can be extremely irritating epically if bottom fishing for catfish you will lose countless rigs. Not a fan of the pamunkey in the fall either at least the landing near hanover courthouse but a great spot during the spring spawn. Will be sticking to the Mattaponi until spring time hits.