Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Putting in a food plot

Default Putting in a food plot

Our little hunting group just finished putting in our food plots at our property in Henrico County. Gonna do a little play by play on how we do our plots in case some people want some ideas.

First of all you want to get a soil sample to see how much lime and fertilizer to add to the soil for your plots. Then you will want to spray the plot with a weed killer to kill all the grass and weeds in the plot. When you do that it should look like this picture.

We decided that we were going to burn our plots again this year. We get a permit from the fire marshal to do so before we do it so everything is good on that end. Burning the plots helps with all the dead grass when you go to till the soil. It also burns up some of the weed seed that is on the ground. You will want to till a fire break all the way around the plot so the fire doesn't jump outside the plot. You want a little wind to help push the fire but not too much. 5-10 mph is perfect. Next series of pics will show how we did this.

Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Haha - I love it that y'all have a cart path to ride on. No worries about getting stuck in the mud.

A few days after the plots were burned we got all our lime and fertilizer as well as the seed to plant and prepared to put it in. We used a spreader to spread the lime and fertilizer on the plots then went back and tilled that in. After that we used a rake (or drag) to smooth out the plot. The rake puts groves in the plot for the seed but that doesn't really mater. Once that was done we put the seed in the bag spreaders and manually spread all our seed in the plots. We use mostly oats and mix in Tall Tine Tubers and this year we are trying Ambush by Whitetail Institute. Once all the seed is put down we went over it with a cultipacker and we were done. You can also use a piece of chain link fence or something to drag over and cover the seed. Some of the seed was still on the surface but the oats will grow on a sidewalk so that's not a concern. The Tubers are a small seed and you don't want them too deep. We spread those after we went over the plot with the cultipacker so they wouldn't get pushed in too deep. Here is a series of pictures of how we did this.

Last edited by Big E; 08-31-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    Eric

This is what the plots look like when we are done (last years plots). If anyone has any questions about how to do this I will do my best to answer them. Hope everyone has a great season this year! Oh, and 31 will be very proud if you have good food plots!

Occasionally you get rewarded for your work!

Eric

Great post E. Looks like a lot of work, but I can see the reward in it.

Makes my little mountain plot look kind of ghetto by comparison. My whole 20 acres doesn't have that much flat ground in it. I'm plowing and discing next week to get mine ready. I'm going with a mix of turnips and winter wheat in mine. I tried to do sunflowers for a summer crop, but that was an epic fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Gsniper View Post
    Makes my little mountain plot look kind of ghetto by comparison. My whole 20 acres doesn't have that much flat ground in it. I'm plowing and discing next week to get mine ready. I'm going with a mix of turnips and winter wheat in mine. I tried to do sunflowers for a summer crop, but that was an epic fail.
    We have always had good success with the Whitetail Institute Oats. We've used WI Winter Greens the last couple years for late season food and that has done well also. Wanted to play with something different so we are trying the Ambush to see how they like that. We put Tall Tine Tubers (turnips) in also each year for mostly late season. Looks like we have a decent acorn crop this year so the plots shouldn't get destroyed before the season ends. Couple years ago we didn't have an acorn crop and the plots were mowed to the ground by mid November.
    Eric

Lot of work put in on those, great work I'm sure it'll put food on the table. I still enjoy going into the wood and looking at sign and trails and trying to set myself up right.
    2017 Ironman winner

I love it dude...

Mines tiny compared to that, but I am having my second meeting with him this afternoon, and we will be reserving the back 3acres of tilled land for this reason as well... it will be a mix of early, mid and late forage.

Kill kill kill kill...

I have 10 more days until I'm sitting in the tree and I can't stop thinking about it.

You all realize we're making 31's blood pressure go up by the day? He's sitting in Blacksburg wringing his hands. We need to figure out how to make a crayfish foodplot to draw the bass so we can catch them, that might make him go postal the rest of the way.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast