Thread: Minn Kota or Motorguide?

Default Minn Kota or Motorguide?

Might have to re-power the front end of the rocket ship. I'm currently running a 10 year old MG Tour 82, which I'm fairly sure at this point will cost more money to repair than its worth (to me). I'm more than likely going to buy a new trolling motor. Not interested in upgrading to a 36 volt system or universal sonar. So which is it? Minn Kota Fortrex 80, or another Motorguide Tour 82. I've already weighed the pro's and con's in my head, just interested in hearing some opinions of the 2 brands, particularly Minn Kota, because I've never owned one.

Thanks
    Jr.

I really like my fortrex and you don't need a 3rd party lift assist...
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Jr.......been having a lot of issues with my 2006 MG Tour 82lb....24V in the last couple of years also. Most recent the magnets inside the lower unit have started to come apart. I'd be interested to see what other peeps say also. If I had to get another I would be looking and comparing MG and MK. Right now....I think I am going to fix this one again ($150-$200) and go until she blows.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

I've owned them both, them motor guide was always dependable and had it for 10 years before I sold boat zero problems, after I sold it 5 years later seen the boat for sale again and it had same trolling motor. Says something.
    I have the MinnKota now and have had it sprit 8 years and have had the windings replaced under factory warranty bad spot in windings, I've had to replace cable, and recent had to replace seals and bushings from water leaking in. All this and still like it and was thinking of replacing with the fortex. Why not try motor guide again??? Gluten for punishment maybe.bsome tell me MinnKota is quieter!!! I have bad hearing but cant tell the difference I'll have to ask a fish.
    2017 Ironman winner

I'm kinda waiting to hear back from the guy on BBC about the problem with my MG. The problem appears to be down in the motor itself, it just flat out quit on me. It was working fine all day. I stowed it to head to my last stop of the day which was only about 2 minutes from where I was. When I deployed it-nothing. I have power all the way to where the wires go down the shaft to the motor. I have the correct voltage across the foot switch, and when I activate it, the direction light comes on, but the motor does nothing at any speed setting.
    Jr.

Maybe one of your wires has came unloose down in the lower unit itself behind the brushes. They are only solderd and the beating those lower units take, its a wonder more don't come loose.
    If you take the cap off, you can see. If so, I have a mini soldering iron and everything you need to fix it if you need it.
    Crank That Jank!

have had both. MK is definitely the better unit. +1 on steve's comments on the fortrex.