Thread: Patterns.

Default Patterns.

When I first began fishing lake Anna I would make a mental note of where I was when I'd catch a fish. It's not like that was hard to do either lol. Anyway, after getting home that night I'd break out my Anna map and mark each spot where I caught one that day. The first pattern I ever figured out, was wherever a line of stumps met the shoreline I'd catch a fish. At first all I understood was that I'd occasionally catch fish at those spots on the map. It wasn't until later that I understood why. One year at the "Bass A Rama" fishing expo I bought myself a copy of the aerial photo maps of Anna. I then compared it to a standard Gyco map of Anna. What I discovered was this: the places on the map where you see a line of stumps drawn, normally form a half moon shape or something similar. Meaning there are two points where the line of stumps meet the shore line. The area between the line of stumps and the shoreline is an area that had been cleared by the land owner at some point before the lake was flooded. The area that boarders the line of stumps facing towards the deeper water is where the forest of trees where cut down leaving the stumps in place in prep for flooding the lake. In some areas the direct opposite is true. The only way to know which is by using the aerial photo map. Never the less, what this did was create and edge the fish would use to move from deeper water to shallow water for feeding and spawning. As time progressed I also discovered that during the winter months bass would still use the same stump lines located 30 to 40 feet deep when feeding too. So the first pattern I ever learned and used to catch fish were "Edges". Anything and everything that creates an edge is a place to find feeding bass, on lakes and tidal waters.
    So began my journey of developing patterns based on cover and structure. Points, funnels, presentations, retrieve cadence's, channels, edges, clay, rock, transition areas, etc, are all potential patterns to exploit on any given day.

Second photo.

2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Interesting. I have the same maps of Kerr before they flooded it.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Good info Jim.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Nothing in Mitchell's....keep moving
    Crank That Jank!

Nice info Jim!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Naaaaaaah. You made this up.

I remember when I was kid watching a younger Al Linder scuba diving in a lake to find big fish. When he surfaced, he said there were some pigs down there and he couldn't get to his rod and reel fast enough. I think Jim's way is easier.
    Thank God For Rednecks