Thread: I stink. Claytor Lake 10/11/15

Default I stink. Claytor Lake 10/11/15

Put in at the Dublin ramp where I was pleasantly surprised by the water clarity. Hardly any debris in the cove to speak. Got into a shallow area and scored a small hybrid weighing in a 1 3/4 pound. He nailed a paddle tail. I then started burning a Red Eye Shad as much as a Revo Winch can burn anything. A pound bass popped it near the yak. I caught another about a pound and a half on a spinnerbait near the Boy Scout camp. Then my deep diver spinnerbait snagged a little one about a pound or so. I threw the Red Eye Shad again and had a decent bass about two pounds or so hooked. He swam to the boat then spun out at a 90 degree angle. I knew his next move was to jump and he did spitting out my lure.
    I wasn't too upset about it until a bigger fish threw the paddle tail at my last stop.

That fish was pretty solid. I got a look at him and he was a solid four pounds. It ate that paddle tail as soon as it hit the water. I set the hook and first thought it was a stick, but he made a run at the yak. I knew right away I was going to lose him. I was letting too much slack in the line when he jumped. It was all over. I suck at long cast hook sets. I think when they jump I freeze up too. I need to keep that line tight when they do that, but I tend to spas out when that happens. Oh well, next week will hopefully be better.
    Thank God For Rednecks

A fast reel and keeping the Rod at a 10 o'clock position following a long cast will help. Loosing fish on a rattle trap is quite common and it takes a lot of work to overcome it consistently. You're a good angler so I am sure you will get it all figured out. Nice job getting the bites. That's the hardest part and you figured it out. Great job and thanks for sharing.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

I used to fish everything on pool cues. It took me a lot of lost fish to go to a softer rod when I'm cranking. I went to the Duckett crankbait rods about three years ago and I seldom loose one on a crankbiat now. It's also difficult to control fish from a yak, so you're at a disadvantage when you start. At least you're getting bit at Claytor, that's usually more than I can do.