Thread: Anna in October.

Default Anna in October.

Anna in October.
    Three years ago I set my heart on figuring out the Oct bite on Anna. I ain't got there yet lol. It took me awhile to figure out the stripper on Anna and the bass spawning process too. So eventually I will get it nailed down.

I will admit that for the past few weeks I've been pretty clueless and chasing my tail on Anna. My tx results are proof of that; but it takes a dismal tx performance for me to really focus on what it is I'm missing.

So what have I learned so far? Each year for the past three years I've mixed it up pretty good, covering all the basics and then some. This year I even ventured as far back in Terry's as I could get. The same in pomunkey and even ventured a good ways back into the north Anna branch flats. The results each year have been the same. That's leads me to the conclusion that it's not a spot, area, or depth issue. Nor is it necessarily a presentation or bait selection issue either. The common denominator is "how" I am fishing, not where or with what.

Bass like a stable environment, so when there are too many changes that happen, to fast, they get skittish and finicky. I have come to realize that bass in oct act and feed a lot like they do in the spring when they first come shallow; cautiously! Oct is a transition month thats full of change. Well hello, there's my ah ha moment.

Any one of us can find ourselves in the right place at the right time and have a hey day. To be consistent though it helps to understand what's going on underneath the water. Now I understand "how" to fish Anna in October. I "think" I got this now. I may have to wait until next year to validate it but I'm pretty sure I've got it narrowed down.

The bottom line? Don't over think it. Keep it simple and fish the conditions. Bass are bass and they have to feed. They may be relating more to shad currently but they're opportunist and will eat an easy offering of most any kind. They're also roaming and cruising a lot too. You can find bass at every depth level right now so pick your poison. Here's the important part. Whatever depth you are fishing, Whatever spot, brush pile, or area you are fishing, fish it throughly having patience and with multiple casts in the same general area: and most importantly, with confidence! It's hard to explain but it different than just fishing slow. The bass are being a little more cautious with all the changes going on so it's going to take some persistence to generate a bite. Lastly; don't leave fish to find fish.

Good luck, God bless and see ya in the water.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Another great instructional piece, Jim. As always, thanks for the effort and for sharing. You da man!

Just call Anna in October, Rocktober and Docktober at the channel bend and you are there

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    Anna in October.
    Three years ago I set my heart on figuring out the Oct bite on Anna. I ain't got there yet lol. It took me awhile to figure out the stripper on Anna and the bass spawning process too. So eventually I will get it nailed down.

I will admit that for the past few weeks I've been pretty clueless and chasing my tail on Anna. My tx results are proof of that; but it takes a dismal tx performance for me to really focus on what it is I'm missing.

So what have I learned so far? Each year for the past three years I've mixed it up pretty good, covering all the basics and then some. This year I even ventured as far back in Terry's as I could get. The same in pomunkey and even ventured a good ways back into the north Anna branch flats. The results each year have been the same. That's leads me to the conclusion that it's not a spot, area, or depth issue. Nor is it necessarily a presentation or bait selection issue either. The common denominator is "how" I am fishing, not where or with what.

Bass like a stable environment, so when there are too many changes that happen, to fast, they get skittish and finicky. I have come to realize that bass in oct act and feed a lot like they do in the spring when they first come shallow; cautiously! Oct is a transition month thats full of change. Well hello, there's my ah ha moment.

Any one of us can find ourselves in the right place at the right time and have a hey day. To be consistent though it helps to understand what's going on underneath the water. Now I understand "how" to fish Anna in October. I "think" I got this now. I may have to wait until next year to validate it but I'm pretty sure I've got it narrowed down.

The bottom line? Don't over think it. Keep it simple and fish the conditions. Bass are bass and they have to feed. They may be relating more to shad currently but they're opportunist and will eat an easy offering of most any kind. They're also roaming and cruising a lot too. You can find bass at every depth level right now so pick your poison. Here's the important part. Whatever depth you are fishing, Whatever spot, brush pile, or area you are fishing, fish it throughly having patience and with multiple casts in the same general area: and most importantly, with confidence! It's hard to explain but it different than just fishing slow. The bass are being a little more cautious with all the changes going on so it's going to take some persistence to generate a bite. Lastly; don't leave fish to find fish.

Good luck, God bless and see ya in the water.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Great post Jim! Anna Sux!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions