Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First shots with new unit

Rocket Science! LOL You writing all this down Jim Whittman?
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne P. View Post
    One more tip, you can use 800 kHz if you want a little less coverage, less depth capability, but somewhat better images.

You can change the Connected Transducer to Hi-Def Sidescan to get the added 800 kHz. It doesn't affect the 455 kHz performance when you choose that in the Imaging Frequency setting.
    I thought about doing the HDSI upgrade exchange but, I was a little impatient and just wanted to go use it. That is the difference between the compact SI and the HDSI the ability to use the 800khz correct, that frequency isn't available on the compact xdcr.

Thanks again Wayne, I'll post more pics hopefully this weekend, I was able to relocate the Transducer last night to the center of the holeshot plate I added. with some time off over Thanksgiving and definite plans to fish Anna Saturday I should be able to get a few good shots and recordings to post up.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos976 View Post
    I thought about doing the HDSI upgrade exchange but, I was a little impatient and just wanted to go use it. That is the difference between the compact SI and the HDSI the ability to use the 800khz correct, that frequency isn't available on the compact xdcr.

Thanks again Wayne, I'll post more pics hopefully this weekend, I was able to relocate the Transducer last night to the center of the holeshot plate I added. with some time off over Thanksgiving and definite plans to fish Anna Saturday I should be able to get a few good shots and recordings to post up.
    The HDSI transducer is 6" in length and the Compact SI transducer is 4" in length.

The advantage of the HDSI is the longer SI crystals. Those longer SI crystals produce a thinner SI pulse and sharper images.
    The HDSI will improve any Side Imaging unit even if it only has 455 kHz capability.

My 798ci SI Combo just has 455 kHz capability and when connected to a HDSI transducer it produces very sharp images like this:

Your unit determines the frequencies. Several models have the transducer setting for both Compact Sidescan and Hi-def Sidescan as well as some other transducers.
    Both transducers have the exact same number of sonar crystals and the exact number of electrical connections.
    800 kHz works better with the HDSI transducer, but does well with the Compact SI transducer too.
    I scanned the bridge pilings at Hunter's Landing a couple of years ago with the Compact SI and 800 kHz using one of my 1198's and it displayed crappie schools very well.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12