Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First shots with new unit

Default First shots with new unit

Finally picked up a new 899ci HD SI and was able to get out Saturday for a little testing/playing, so I figuerd I'd add a litle life to this board and post a few shots. I still need to do a little tweaking, I think I'm getting some sonar reflection from the boat/ jackplate causing a line in the SI screen. The Humviewer software really amplifies it, so I need to play with that a little more also..

barge

wing dam across from Osborne

screenshot from the unit
    </div>

Nice, Andy! You're gonna love the detail and resolution in that new HB.

I'm so far behind the times...

The blurry line on both sides comes from aerated water coming off the hull. The distinct lines on the left side are jackplate echos. Your transducer is on the right side of the jackplate.

You can prevent the jackplate echos by installing a holeshot plate so the sonar pulses will not be reflected by the inside of the left side of the jackplate.
    The alternative to just adding a hotshot plate is to attach the transducer to the center of the bottom of the holeshot plate to get better coverage on both sides.

Humminbird's Side Imaging covers from the water's surface to past vertical on both sides.

The recordings are raw data to the adjusted by the software that is processing it-either the unit or Humviewer.

BTW, did you exchange the included Compact SI transducer for the HDSI version that will produce sharper images?

Thanks Wayne! I'm going to add the holeshot plate this week and had already thought about mounting the xdcr to it. Hopefully as you said it'll eliminate that reflection. I hope the turbulence is a little less in that location also.

I did not exchange the xdcr for the HDSI one, I'm using the compact version
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos976 View Post
    Thanks Wayne! I'm going to add the holeshot plate this week and had already thought about mounting the xdcr to it. Hopefully as you said it'll eliminate that reflection. I hope the turbulence is a little less in that location also.

I did not exchange the xdcr for the HDSI one, I'm using the compact version
    You will need the wedge to go with that application if you use the Transducer Shield and Saver TM-Csi mount.

The turbulence will be the same. That is determined by your boat speed and the distance between the transducer and hull bottom----slower=less aerated water.

A trolling motor mounted SI transducer does not get the aerated water passing over it to be recorded:

So it's fairly typical to have some aeration on a transom mounted transducer, just an effect of the install. I don't want to try and acheieve results that just aren't typical

thats a nice image, I assume an example of A TM mounted transducer.
    </div>

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos976 View Post
    So it's fairly typical to have some aeration on a transom mounted transducer, just an effect of the install. I don't want to try and acheieve results that just aren't typical

thats a nice image, I assume an example of A TM mounted transducer.
    Yep, as long as the boat is moving, you will have water filling in behind the boat where the hull was.

Yes, that is a TM mounted SI transducer. I use SI on both ends of the boat.

One more tip, you can use 800 kHz if you want a little less coverage, less depth capability, but somewhat better images.

You can change the Connected Transducer to Hi-Def Sidescan to get the added 800 kHz. It doesn't affect the 455 kHz performance when you choose that in the Imaging Frequency setting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast