Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: James River Ol' Hookers Bass Tourney

Great job Mike!!!!

Nice job Mike!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Thanks guys, thanks Dad, always feels good to make a father proud. Hello again keldog, it was nice meeting you and thanks again for your help at the ramp. I had a great day and it was awesome to win. I will leave all the bragging to my father though as I know what it is to be on the bottom tier too The tourney launched out of Hopewell and I decided to run river down and fish some major creeks. The first area I fished was the type that I knew had some fish in it and I could work it over with a few baits and try to get a clue as to what I could catch them on throughout the day. I threw a finesse jig, drop shot, grub, umbrella rig, blade bait and jerkbait. I combed the area and was getting bit the best on the blade bait. I spent a couple hours there and managed to come out with 3 keepers but not the quality I knew it would take to win. The tide had dropped so I ran back up to the creek and got on a blade bait bite. I have to say thanks to my friend Clay lewis and Jim Whitman for really showing me how to throw a blade bait in the winter. They both showed me what they are capable of when fished correctly. I wouldn't have ever thought you could throw some 1/2oz piece of metal with 2 trebles on it in a river or lake without constantly staying hung up, but you can. Presentation is key. My biggest fish(5.90) came on a finesse jig on a laydown and the other 3 I weighed in came on the blade bait close to the creek channel, including one 5.50, so they will catch big fish too.
    You cant catch'em if your baits not in tha water.

Great report Mike! That's awesome stuff on the James!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

That's awesome Mike. I've been wanting to hit the chick with the blades and see how well it works out. Every winter I want to go but never do. I think I will this year and soon. Congratulations my friend. Good job.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12