Thread: Dead sticking blade baits.

Default Dead sticking blade baits.

Dead sticking blade baits.

I bet your first thought was' yea right. It may be hard to believe but it does work and there is a time and place for it.
    The best time is when water temps are 38 to 42 degrees. To often I've had bass and other game fish pick my silver buddy up off the bottom after leaving it sit a second or two before continuing to work it back to the boat. With the right set up you can actually tell when the fish picks it up. Never the less, even when you can't feel it, when you go to pick it up the rod will just load up. It's pretty cool fishing.
    Most recently fishing for Striper on Anna, I couldn't get bit with the bait moving or during the fall. But when I was right on top of a school of em, I'd drop the bait down until it hit bottom, and then lift it a foot or two and just hold it in place: the Striper would hammer it.
    So there you have it. Hope it helps you put a couple of more fish in the boat. May God bless you and keep you safe, and see you on the water.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Thank you for the explanation...I might have to give it a try this weekend.

Love me some blades. Always check the fishes' mouth for leaves and other debris. Telltale sign they're picking it up of the deck.

Every time I try that....I lose too many baits to snags and the plug knocker won't budge them.
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Use braid and change your treble hooks to gold trebles. They'll bend out before your line breaks and you hardly ever loose a blade.

Good post Jim. Agree with everything mentioned. I have caught bass as Brian mentioned with leaves in their mouths while the bait is sitting on the bottom so they do hit it that way also.

Larry, it terms of getting your lure back from a snag. Lighter blades, 1/4 oz are a bit harder to get out of wood. The larger/heavier 1/2 oz and larger weights are easier to free. The weight of the lure often frees itself. You may have to bounce your rod tip 20-30 times over a snag at different angles but many more times than not, the lure will free itself. Andy's 1/2 oz blades are heavy enough to get free most times.

If you can find a school of bass away from cover and feeding, that is a great time to use the bait as the lure is free from cover. The next best thing is using it on the edge of cover. It can be very effective in and around woody areas but the chances of getting stuck increase. You just need to figure out where they are and if you are willing to play the "hangup" game? I like fishing brush piles because these often are loose limbs, or Christmas trees and with 12-17 lb florocarbon line, you can free the lure most times.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011