Thread: Minn Kota's 3 bank 45 amp charger review.

Default Minn Kota's 3 bank 45 amp charger review.

I've been using Minn Kota's three bank, 45 amp chargers for the past 6 to 7 years now. When they work, they work fantastically.
    However, I've been through four of them now. Two new, and two replaced under warranty. About every two years, one of the three banks fail. Minn Kota has always replaced them during the warranty period no questions asked. They've always had awesome customer service, but the new replacements do the same thing. Every two years or there about, one of the three banks fail.
    Now I have to replace it again for the same reason. Think I'll go with dual pro this time. It's one of the few that will fit in the space I have to work with.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Jim - it's not normal (obviously) to burn thru so many units. Before you install another maybe you should have the wiring checked out. Wonder if you don't have something goofy somewhere that's cooking your chargers. If the same bank is failing it could be telling you something.

I've used the MK and Dual Pro 3-bank chargers - both worked superbly. Bought my first 4-bank (an MK) for the Red Rocket. I have the new digital series MK on my current sled - works great. Like you, I've had nothing but great service from the MK crew (mostly TM stuff).

Now, you realize your charging bank is going to go into shock when the flasher comes off and the new HD units go on. Not so much from energy consumption as it will be from shear impact of you finally giving up that flasher. Just sayin' . . .

Good advice B. I have looked for issues to no avail. Input voltage is good. Unit is in a well ventilated spot so overheating isn't a problem. After the first two I thought maybe leaving it plugged in 24/7 might of been the issue. So I'd unplug the charger after batteries were fully charged but that didn't help either. It's never the same bank twice so I don't know. The common cause of my failures according to MK has been the units temp sensors going bad or another sensor going bad that senses how long it's taking to restore the battery to full charge. If battery voltage doesn't climb in correlation with the units predestined timing then that bank shuts down. That one bank shut down on three separate batteries so the batteries weren't the problem. I'm at a loss really.

Yeah, that's crazy to go thru 4 of them in 7 years. My Triton is a 2000 and still has the original equipment 3 bank that came with the boat and it works like a champ. I'd try another model or manufacturer and if you crap that one it's gotta be something on your boat.

Don't disagree one bit. I probably fish more than most too. That battery charger is constantly working throughout the week and weekends. Then again we Whittmans are known to be hard in stuff too. If it can be broke I'm sure I can break it lol.

Yeah, I'm tough on equipment also. Nothing more irritating than a piece of gear that won't work the way it's supposed to. My boat is 16 years old and I'm constantly having to fix or replace something. I'm just too cheap to go buy a new one. Luckily the battery chargers have not been a problem for me yet.