Thread: Confidace

Default Confidace

What is it that separates a good angler from an average angler? I think one of the biggies is confidence.
    Confidant anglers make confident decisions and are willing to accept the outcome. At least that's what I've learned about myself recently.
    My partner and I are pretty good at going to a new body of water and getting on fish pretty quick. It comes from years of experience at having only one day to pre-fish. We actually practice in preparation for practice. We may go out weeks ahead of time and fish just to narrow down where on the lake we plan on spending our time for our one day of practice. If the bite stays consistent on tournament day then we do well. The problem starts when the bite changes on tournament day, and what caught em yesterday isn't working today. In the past we'd be reluctant to let it go and start over but not anymore. Last year in our FOM Divisional, on day two, our pattern went away. Finally, late in the day, and after much discussion, we came to the conclusion that we are pretty darn good at finding fish when we're in a practice mode, so why not give up on a tournament plan that isn't working and go into a practice mode? So that's what we did, we went into practice mode, quickly found another workable pattern nearby, and salvaged the day. It kept us in the top seven and headed to the Nationals.
    That was the biggest lesson I learned during the 2015 fishing season, and one I won't soon forget.
    God bless you and see ya on the water.
    Last edited by just1more; 02-02-2016 at 02:24 PM.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Good post Jim. I take it as you have to adapt to the fish as fast as you can as they are adapting to their every changing environment (read: food sources). Keeping the lag time between when they change and you adapt seems to be a key to success as you are pointing out here
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

I am confident Squire sux. Does that count?

Seriously, if you watch the latest series of MLF episodes you hear pro after pro talking about going back to a confidence bait or presentation when their efforts to date haven't worked out. If you're confident in a particular bait or presentation you're more likely to give it the time and patience to pay off (vc just going thru the motions w/ a bait you really don't care to use). Matching that confidence bait/presentation to a setting (wood, rock, ledges, grass, etc) that's been productive for you in the past enhances your confidence. Another keeper, Jim - thanks!

Amen, good post.
    1st Place VA East FOMNTT Potomac River 2006, VA East FOMNTT Big Bag 2006, VAO Frog Only Tournament Winner 2011

Good post Jim!