Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unequally yoked and spiritually busy.

Default Unequally yoked and spiritually busy.

Love can be very mysterious at times. Sometimes it opens your eyes to the truth; sometimes it blinds you to the truth.

It's been a while since I've posted anything spiritual. It's over due so I thought I'd share a couple of situations developing in my family.
    My grandson Jon has become smitten by a beautiful young lady from India. Her current religious faith is Hinduism. My grandson is a born again Christian. Needless to say, a stark conflict of faiths. He asked me for advice and I gave it to him. The good and the bad.
    Marriage is hard enough without the additional burden of working around the differences in a couples religious beliefs. The solution of course is for her to become born again in Christ.
    It's a tricky situation for me as the patriarch of the family. It will be hard for me to keep my opinions to myself because I see the rocky road that lays ahead of them.
    So my best course of action is to witness to her as the opportunities present themselves. But not the in-your face and going to hell type of witness. That's more of my grandson Josh's style lol. He's more liken to a John the Baptist type of personality. He's very passionate about Jesus and witnessing. Mine will be more of the "living the word" type of witness. I figure if she's sees the love of God in me, my wife, and our marriage, and or, the love and acceptance towards her, she'll see a better way.
    Then again she may see it as validation of her faith. It could very well go either way.
    On the flip side, Joshua, my oldest grandson has begun to follow the teachings of a pastor who adamantly believes in a post tribulation rapture, verses a pre-tribulation rapture. I don't think he's picked up on that yet.
    Fortunately, Josh and I fellowship and talk frequently about the things of God. Currently he and I are having an on going discussion about these truths. Life is never easy is it?
    As you can see, things are very spiritually active
    in my life, and the lives of my children and grandchildren. Its always been that way, and always will be.

God bless and see ya on the water.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    Love can be very mysterious at times. Sometimes it opens your eyes to the truth; sometimes it blinds you to the truth.

It's been a while since I've posted anything spiritual. It's over due so I thought I'd share a couple of situations developing in my family.
    My grandson Jon has become smitten by a beautiful young lady from India. Her current religious faith is Hinduism. My grandson is a born again Christian. Needless to say, a stark conflict of faiths. He asked me for advice and I gave it to him. The good and the bad.
    Marriage is hard enough without the additional burden of working around the differences in a couples religious beliefs. The solution of course is for her to become born again in Christ.
    It's a tricky situation for me as the patriarch of the family. It will be hard for me to keep my opinions to myself because I see the rocky road that lays ahead of them.
    So my best course of action is to witness to her as the opportunities present themselves. But not the in-your face and going to hell type of witness. That's more of my grandson Josh's style lol. He's more liken to a John the Baptist type of personality. He's very passionate about Jesus and witnessing. Mine will be more of the "living the word" type of witness. I figure if she's sees the love of God in me, my wife, and our marriage, and or, the love and acceptance towards her, she'll see a better way.
    Then again she may see it as validation of her faith. It could very well go either way.
    On the flip side, Joshua, my oldest grandson has begun to follow the teachings of a pastor who adamantly believes in a post tribulation rapture, verses a pre-tribulation rapture. I don't think he's picked up on that yet.
    Fortunately, Josh and I fellowship and talk frequently about the things of God. Currently he and I are having an on going discussion about these truths. Life is never easy is it?
    As you can see, things are very spiritually active
    in my life, and the lives of my children and grandchildren. Its always been that way, and always will be.

God bless and see ya on the water.
    Jim, this is where you and I part ways. I am very familiar with Hinduism because I spend alot of time in India (for 12 years now). Another word for Love, IMHO, is ACCEPTANCE. If your grandson cannot accept her for what she is and demands she changes to come to his side, then its a bad start to a relationship and one not built on the concept of "equals". I am an atheist. I have accepted others views my whole life, while I have seen many people reject me out of either fear or ignorance or arrogance. The people who have accepted me as me, are my dear friends. Your grandson needs to learn to understand and accept not bend the world around him to his beliefs. If he really loves her, he will endeavor to learn all about Hinduism and travel there to spend time with her "culture" and learn to love it.
    Last edited by Squire; 02-14-2016 at 09:49 AM.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Steve, I think you would really like my two grandsons, Jonathan especially. He loves to challenge my opinions and beliefs on many fronts, politics and religion being just two of them. He is as diversified in his thinking as you are.
    I love my discussions with him as much as I do with you. There is no doubt in my heart and mind, that he will treat her with nothing less than equality and respect. If he didn't, I'd be the first one in line to knock him up side the head. I am also confident that he can and will easily embrace their culture as well; and no doubt teach grandpa a thing or two along the way. I really don't see any major issues until children are introduced into the equation. That's when I see the potential conflicts begin to arise. Then again, I may just be over complicating the situation or underestimating those two's ability to resolve the differences themselves. Time will tell. The wife and I really like her too, and we are glad for him.
    I may have strong beliefs in Jesus being the only way; after all, if I truly believe in "Love thy neighbor" why would I not want others to know about spending eternity in heaven? Especially my friends. But there is a right way and a wrong way to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and I get that. Some plant the seed, some water it, and others reap the harvest. Thats the way it is.
    Steve, I accepted the fact long ago that you believe you're an atheist. I try and respect your wishes and not push my beliefs on you; and I acknowledge that you have done the same for me.
    Not withstanding, it's because of those differences that I enjoy having discussions with you. You make me think; not only about what I say, but how I'm saying it and why. Although I believe I get more out of them than you do lol.
    That being said, you may believe you're an atheist, but I'm not convinced yet that you are, lol. At least not a hard core atheist.
    You don't fit my definition of a true atheist. Maybe a moderate one, but not one that's hard core. To be honest, I hope I never run into a true one. In my opinion, a true atheist has no boundaries; they aren't bound by morality, any form of ethics, have no guilt, and no remorse. That's not someone I could be friends with let alone want to meet in a dark alley; unarmed anyway.
    As always, I hope I've clarified the situation a little better. And Steve, Wayne said stop being so sensitive lmbo.
    Last edited by just1more; 02-14-2016 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by just1more View Post
    Steve, I think you would really like my two grandsons, Jonathan especially. He loves to challenge my opinions and beliefs on many fronts, politics and religion being just two of them. He is as diversified in his thinking as you are.
    I love my discussions with him as much as I do with you. There is no doubt in my heart and mind that he will treat her with anything less than equality and respect. If he didn't, I'd be the first one in line to knock him up side the head. I am also confident that he can and will easily embrace their culture as well; and no doubt teach grandpa a thing or two along the way. I really don't see any major issues until children are introduced into the equation. That's when I see the potential conflicts begin to arise. Then again, I may just be over complicating the situation or underestimating those two's ability to resolve the differences themselves. Time will tell. The wife and I really like her too, and we are glad for him.
    I may have strong beliefs in Jesus being the only way; after all, if I truly believe in "Love thy neighbor" why would I not want others to know about spending eternity in heaven? Especially my friends. But there is a right way and a wrong way to share the gospel of Jesus Christ and I get that. Some plant the seed, some water it, and others reap the harvest. Thats the way it is.
    Steve, I accepted the fact long ago that you believe you're an atheist. I try and respect your wishes and not push my beliefs on you; and I acknowledge that you have done the same for me.
    Not withstanding, it's because of those differences that I enjoy having discussions with you. You make me think; not only about what I say, but how I'm saying it and why. Although I believe I get more out of them than you do lol.
    That being said, you may believe you're an atheist, but I'm not convinced yet that you are, lol. At least not a hard core atheist.
    You don't fit my definition of a true atheist. Maybe a moderate one, but not one that's hard core. To be honest, I hope I never run into a true one. In my opinion, a true atheist has no boundaries; they aren't bound by morality, any form of ethics, have no guilt, and no remorse. That's not someone I could be friends with let along want to meet in a dark alley; unarmed anyway.
    As always, I hope I've clarified the situation a little better. And Steve, Wayne said stop being so sensitive lmbo.
    You are an awesome human and individual Jim and someone I am privileged to call friend. I have always enjoyed our discussions, shared learnings and debates. The older I have gotten, the more I am peace with who I am and more importantly, endeavor to try to do the right thing instead of trying to be right. Your description of what you believe Atheist are cannot be further from the truth. I have, as you might imagine, quite a few friends who are various degrees (your words) Atheist. Far from having no moral compass, and this may be shocking to you, they feel religions are holding people of the earth back from being even more moral, have greater ethics, exhibit guilt and remorse etc. Why? Because we are not locked into a document that we cannot stray from, cannot evolve the interpretation, rather we can take the learning from all religions and historical experiences and continuously refine our morality given todays information and science and technology and more importantly, shared experiences. We have just accepted that there is no afterlife, so we better make this life the best one it can be, and that means together and in harmony with everyone and the earth.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Interesting. Need to think on that. It may take awhile lol.

Good thread.

I 100% agree with what you said Steve on the athiest piece...I don't think that being an aethist means you have no moral compass and don't know right from wrong.
    Make VAO Great again

Very interesting Jim. I know that one day, not too far off in the future, my daughter will want to marry a man and I can only hope he has the same beliefs as my family does. Honestly, I'm hoping that day is plenty far away in the future! lol Good luck bud!

Because of what I believe (and I think Jim does as well) it is in my heart that all of my friends and family would choose Jesus as their Lord and Savior. It will be awesome to rejoice with my friends and family, in the presents of our Holy Father in heaven one day! With that being said, I will never force what I believe on someone but I will try to share with others when I feel I can. Only the Lord can touch someone's heart and move them to be willing to receive Him. No doubt I have my faults and I often fall short of the glory of God but because of what Jesus did for us on the cross and my belief in Him, I am saved from the sting of death. That invitation is open to everyone! Christianity is about love. Love thy neighbor as thyself. We are charged to help one another especially those in need. I often wonder why so much of the world hates Christians when that is what we should be about. If we as Christians show love to others, care for others, help our fellow man, then why all the hate? Sorry to write a novel on your thread Jim. Just felt lead to speak.
    Last edited by Big E; 02-16-2016 at 09:57 AM.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Everyone is always welcome to chime in. The More the better. Great post E. Thanks.

Just yesterday, I got in a little conversation with one of the posters in this thread regarding faith, some of the history of Christianity, and the like. I find the history and political power of Christianity very interesting. As part of the conversation, I came across a talk/speech given back in 1983 that brings up 3 very valid points in looking at the history of Christianity, and where this post is potentially coming from/going to. Without posting the entire article, those 3 main points are:

1. The message of Christ and His gospel became subject, soon after His resurrection, to various, extremely controversial interpretations; and the question, 'What is truth?' has continued to be controversial up to this day.

2. Over a period of centuries there were only those interpretations of the gospel prevailing which were linked with the strongest literal political powers, and it is easy to see that these powers of leadership in Christianity could not be kept free from wickedness, injustice, and unrighteousness.

3. There is a long history in Christianity of intolerance toward those holding different opinions, of defaming them as “devilish heretics,” of persecuting them, and even to literally putting them to death.

He concludes with the following:
    With these powers from above it is our role to learn to love every one of our Heavenly Father’s children and not, in turn, to label as “devilish” someone who is different, but to learn to be concerned only about the influence the adversary can have in our own lives. In so doing, we can learn to make the love of Christ the strongest power in this world, that through His love emanating through His disciples, eventually nations will be penetrated with new hope and new light, that the ballast of prejudice, ignorance, hate, deception, and fear that still burdens relationships of people and nations can be overcome.

I have the hope and the prayer in my heart that through this message of the restored gospel of Christ and the radiation of its fruits, the fruit of historical so-called “Christian” behavior that literally threatens the very existence of mankind today can be eliminated and that eventually future wars can be avoided. My prayer is that we will learn to respect one another, to trust one another, and to look at one another as brothers and sisters and as children of the same heavenly Father. My prayer is that the ultimate goal of Jesus the Christ can soon be established: “Glory to God in the highest, and on earth, peace, good will toward men.”

Just something to think about, ponder, and 'pray' about if that's your thing.

Click the link for the whole text, which is quite interesting to read from a historical standpoint, regardless of denominational preference. https://speeches.byu.edu/talks/f-enz...y-hope-future/
    Last edited by gnfsnva; 02-16-2016 at 02:39 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast