Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chick Lake Tournament Woes

Default Chick Lake Tournament Woes

Fished in Ed Allens tournament yesterday. My initial assumption was the 67 degree warmup would make for a good day of fishing on the lake. WAY wrong!! The bite was non existent. We threw everything under the sun and ended up getting skunked. One thing I will say if I had to do it all over again I may have gone through Johnson creek but decided not to because as of lately I have not had much success in there. Lacey Creek is normally just too shallow except for a very small portion near the mouth.

Baits Used:

Rage Craw
    Finesse worm
    Senko
    Spinner
    Buzz bait
    Crankbait
    Chatterbait
    A-Rig

Water visibility: 1 foot
    Water Temp: 43
    Air Temp 67H
    Tide: incoming

cold and muddy - the absolute worst conditions. you'll hafta hit'em on the head with the bait and hope they can find it if you're gonna get bit. in these kind of conditions I usually pick apart cover w/ something low and slow. finesse jig, shaky head, c-rig, something like that. darker colors so I get plenty of contrast against the dingy water.

the tide doesn't affect the lake, does it? thought the tidal FX end at the dam.

What won the tournament?

I didn't stay for the weigh in because it started to pour down rain. I will call over there tomorrow and repost. Also, the chick lake just like the river has a tide. We fished an incoming tide mostly that day.

http://www.lakelubbers.com/chickahominy-lake-908/ This article says Walker's Dam prevents the Chick River tide from reaching the lake. Just curious - what is the source of the tide in the lake?

I've never heard of the tide influencing the lake. Walkers Dam is fixed and water is flowing across the dam. I fished the incoming tide on the river Saturday and never saw the water go over the dam into the lake.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Big E when was the last time you have been out there? On Sunday you could drive right through to the river. Had it not been off limits I would have done it. The tide for sure influences the lake. It's visibly noticeable even when the dam was blocking flow to the river. There is a little cove right up from the mouth of johnson's creek that during high tide is fishable but low tide its less than a foot of water. Any time we had a high tide last summer that was the first place we fished.

I wonder if one of the feeder creeks flowing into the lake is influenced by tides. I've seen that in other tidal systems. Another explanation for the drop in water level you mentioned above is outflow. We've seen some wild fluctuations on the lake while the dam and lock were being repaired. An aggressive outflow rate might look a lot like a tide.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, btw. Learning something new here and am curious to understand what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by About The Bass and Treble View Post
    Big E when was the last time you have been out there? On Sunday you could drive right through to the river. Had it not been off limits I would have done it. The tide for sure influences the lake. It's visibly noticeable even when the dam was blocking flow to the river. There is a little cove right up from the mouth of johnson's creek that during high tide is fishable but low tide its less than a foot of water. Any time we had a high tide last summer that was the first place we fished.
    I fished the river Saturday morning. It was low tide when we started with the tide coming in. I left around 12:30-1:00 and the water was still below the level of the dam. It was a full moon so maybe at the peak of high tide it could have been level with the dam but I don't see how the water would drop in the lake at low tide. I guess maybe on a serious flood tide with a full moon you could get enough water to come over the dam to raise the lake level some and then lower it with the tide going out. Can't imagine it's much and even so it would only be on those rare occasions. It doesn't happen every day. The lake isn't considered tidal.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Quote Originally Posted by 31Airborne View Post
    I wonder if one of the feeder creeks flowing into the lake is influenced by tides. I've seen that in other tidal systems. Another explanation for the drop in water level you mentioned above is outflow. We've seen some wild fluctuations on the lake while the dam and lock were being repaired. An aggressive outflow rate might look a lot like a tide.

Not trying to hi-jack your thread, btw. Learning something new here and am curious to understand what's going on.
    Well, this was a fun bit of research and I will offer up this opinion based on reading papers on tidal influences in ground water, the fact the Chickahominy does in fact have flood tides that cause the river to overflow into Chickahominy Lake and something else. In a couple dozen fishing reports encompassing over a year of the Ed Allen page by Capt. Art of River Rats, I noticed what I wanted to see. Normally, the dam area of any lake is the cleanest water as it is the most filtered. If you read Capt. Arts reports, the dam area of Chickahominy Lake is always the dirtiest. This leads me to believe that yes, the Lake is a water supply reservoir and is listed as non-tidal by the VDGIF, but in fact the tide does impact the lake by putting a force, both horizontal and vertical on the ground water and I believe pushes the lake level up by pushing ground water below the lake up. It would be interesting to understand how much. I could not find a public water level gauge on the Internet for the lake, just the river.

enjoy....
    Last edited by Squire; 02-23-2016 at 12:48 PM.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast