Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chick Lake Tournament Woes

I wish I had a picture from Sunday. There were boats moving freely from the Chick River to the lake. Most of the people looked to be Catfishing. I actually did fish on the other side of the orange buoys in between the river and the dam if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by About The Bass and Treble View Post
    I wish I had a picture from Sunday. There were boats moving freely from the Chick River to the lake. Most of the people looked to be Catfishing. I actually did fish on the other side of the orange buoys in between the river and the dam if that makes sense.
    there is absolutely no question that the water flows over the Walker Dam in to the Chickahominy Lake on extra high tides. This is well documented. What is in question is and your input is critical, when you say the Chickahominy Lake is tidal, does the water level raise and lower like there is a tide even if the tide does not flow over the dam? Do you know?
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

I've fished that lake a lot this year and wondered the same thing. I am convinced the tide ha 0 affect on the lake other than when a higher than normal tide comes over the dam. About two months ago (I have a picture) it was almost over the dam at dead low tide and was rushing in for almost the entire incoming tide except the first hour and a half. After rain there is always a good amount of current flow uplake which at times can be as strong as a tide but always is heading downlake. When the water is coming in over the dam you will notice the incoming water until you get uplake where it narrows and I guess the current overpowers the rising water?? I'm not a scientist but just what I've seen.

The water coming over the dam on a flood tide and the water coming into the lake from heavy rain doesn't make the lake tidal. I've never heard of a tidal lake before. There may be things that cause the lake to rise and lower just like any other lake but it's not a tidal influence that does that. Someone would have to prove me wrong. If the lake is tidal it's not a lake, it's a river.
    Last edited by Big E; 02-25-2016 at 08:49 AM.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

BigE is correct, under normal conditions the Chick Lake is NOT affected by tides and generally flows in one direction, towards walkers dam. Chick Lake is fed by a vast swamp system that surrounds it. Just because a freak high tide makes the water level between the river and the lake the same level does not make the lake a tidal body of water, it only means that it is subject to tidal flooding under the right conditions.

I found the answer we are all looking for. Needless to say I was wrong. It's not the tide it's flooding...

https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CZIC-t...-5-v8-1993.htm

"The Chickahominy River makes up the County's eastern and northern boundary. The Chickahominy is tidal up to Walkers Dam which blocks any further tidal influence upstream. "

Big E any tips for fishing this time of year on the Lake? That Sunday I fished way up the lake and did notice quite a bit of current. Thinking back on it maybe the current was too strong for the bass liking and I should have focused somewhere else. I did venture back towards the dam and hit a couple spots on the way but nothing was biting my baits.

Has anyone been doing well? Also what is the water temps? Planning on coming down from Pa in a few weeks if it is worth my while. Tony

A buddy of mine sent me a picture of a 9-08 that was caught in the lake this past weekend. I have no details on it. I really don't know anything about the lake. I never fish it. I stay in the river.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12