Thread: SML - 2/27 and 2/28

Default SML - 2/27 and 2/28

Myself and three buddies from church got some weekend passes from our spouses and headed up to a condo on SML this weekend. Between the four of us we have 9 boys and 2 girls, so a quiet, 'guys weekend' away was pretty dang gracious of our wives. Much appreciation for my wife, and for theirs, and for all that they do...

The guys I was with are not anglers, but we made do as best as possible with 3 to 4 of us fishing in the boat at a time. It was cold, cold, cold on Saturday morning but we all got up and loaded up the boat to get it going early. I knew the day and the weekend would be tough with the wind, the cold, the bluebird skies and what not. We started out just outside of Fairview Cove and in front of my buddies condo. I was primarily throwing a MB110+ and blades and they had LC Pointers/blades/shakey heads. About 20-min in I hooked up on one of the four bites I had all weekend which was a nice 3lb LMB. The fish was in that little 'bowl' over my shoulder in the pic in about 12' of water near much deeper water. It hit at the end of a long cast, so it was a nice little fight for my first bass of 2016. (Yep, first time fishing since Christmas...sigh...)

We then made a short run, and this was the beginning of the end for the morning for those guys. They weren't fully prepped for the weather, and all three were pretty ate up with the cold at that point. I was cold too, but having the right gear makes all the difference. We worked around some points for about another hour or so with no action, and they were hurting, so I dropped them off and then I headed back out by myself for a bit.

I worked some more points, then decided to idle over a hump that I saw on the graph a good 100+ yards out from the point I was fishing. Mmmhhh...that looks interesting. I stopped and dropped the blade (Vault) and on the first cast I got hammered on the first pump up of the blade. It was a brute, and as I worked it up from about 25', I realized it was a solid smallie. Biggest smallmouth I've ever caught (although really not that big), at 19" and a touch over 4lbs. Quite the football of a fish too. Fat, solid as a brick, and he did not want to get in the boat. We fought it out for a bit at the side of the boat while I first tried to hand scoop him, and ultimately opted for the net.

..aaaaand that was about it for the fishing. I did hook up on another one about two casts later, but it came unbuttoned and was all I could manage off that spot, and others spots similar that I tried out after that. So, only two fish, but at least they were two good fish, which made up for everything else.

We all headed back out at other points over the weekend but never really got bit again. It was great to get out with a few church buds and enjoy some quality fellowship and good times and good eating. Unfortunately, none of them ever hooked up, but it was a new experience for two of them who had never been on a bass boat before.

Happy Monday - Back to reality.
    Last edited by gnfsnva; 02-29-2016 at 01:44 PM.

Nice fish dude! Sounds like a fun weekend.

Green fish and Brown fish gotta love it....thx for posting

That's two nice ones. I tried to get a fish sandwich on the way home sat and whiffed on the strike at the drive thru. I couldn't even buy one.

Glad you had a good time and those are two really nice fish.

Nice Eric. Are your buddies still talking to ya after that haha. Thanks for sharing.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

nice fish Erik!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Great smallie! Sure yall had a good time even in the cold!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

great work, erik. awesome SM!