Thread: New to kayak fishing

Default New to kayak fishing

Hey folks....I'm new here. I've spent my life on the coast of Connecticut fishing for stripers. Last year, I finally picked up a yak. I had a ton of fun fishing out of it for the latter half of the season. I am moving down to York County in April. I don't think I will be spending much time in the salt. I think I may focus my efforts on LMB, and maybe a bit of carp fishing. I have never fished a lake/pond before. Just a few questions...Typically, what type of gear will get me in the game? My kayak is already rigged, but what length rods, and line ratings would I want to be looking at? I will probably spend most of my time fishing topwater stuff (whenever possible). I'm looking forward to learning a new fishery. I am also very intimidated by it! Any advice will go a long way. Thanks!

You can use seven foot rods out of a yak for bass. If you want an all purpose rod, get a casting rod with medium heavy power, fast action. You can pretty much use that for anything from jig and pigs to spinner baits and also tie on a top water.

Get a spinning rod for soft plastics too. That could be a medium powered rod any where from six and a half to seven feet.

I have four rods I use a lot. Once you get into crankbaits, get a nice crankbait rod that is medium to medium heavy.

Anything from 8 pound test to 15 pound test is suitable. If you use braid, of course it can get a lot higher.

There's nothing intimidating about a pond. It's a good place to start. You'll soon find your way back to saltwater too living in that area.
    Thank God For Rednecks

Welcome.
    7 foot MHF. 30# braid. Shallow as you can go. Frog. Potomac River - Quantico Creek, Chopawamsic Creek, Aquia Creek, Potomac Creek.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0OpMOutdMY

Happy to help if you have more specific questions.
    Can't go wrong with the plastic boat.

Best,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by PokerFace View Post
    You can use seven foot rods out of a yak for bass. If you want an all purpose rod, get a casting rod with medium heavy power, fast action. You can pretty much use that for anything from jig and pigs to spinner baits and also tie on a top water.

Get a spinning rod for soft plastics too. That could be a medium powered rod any where from six and a half to seven feet.

I have four rods I use a lot. Once you get into crankbaits, get a nice crankbait rod that is medium to medium heavy.

Anything from 8 pound test to 15 pound test is suitable. If you use braid, of course it can get a lot higher.

There's nothing intimidating about a pond. It's a good place to start. You'll soon find your way back to saltwater too living in that area.
    7ft, 8-15lb...Easy enough! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Rysanek View Post
    Welcome.
    7 foot MHF. 30# braid. Shallow as you can go. Frog. Potomac River - Quantico Creek, Chopawamsic Creek, Aquia Creek, Potomac Creek.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0OpMOutdMY

Happy to help if you have more specific questions.
    Can't go wrong with the plastic boat.

Best,
    Bill
    Snakeheads...in Virginia?!?!?!

I'd be sure to be on the lookout for Redfish in and around the Lynnhaven inlet too.
    Heard good things, no experience. I've hung out at Chicks Oyster Bar and watched but
    Fishing in Lynnhaven is still on my bucket list.