Thread: Mapping and electronics

Default Mapping and electronics

Are you getting the most out of your electronics?

Next time your out fishing, do these couple of things.
    Every time you get a bite or catch a fish, immediately mark your boat position with a way-point using a fish symbol. Secondly, allow yourself enough time before you call it a day to side scan these areas. Take screen shots or a picture using your phone of anything that would explain why that fish was there. The pictures do two things for you. One, it helps you decide if the fish was just a bank runner, or if there was something there that the fish liked; which makes it very likely that it's a spot that'll reload. If the bank was bare and void of cover then most likely it was just a bank runner and you can delete that particular way point.
    Two; if there was something there, then that same something will hold fish in other spots too.
    Finally; do your home work. After you get home bring up your maps and view your way-points that you captured earlier. Look where the boat was in relationship to the bank or a particular contour location when you got bit. Very quickly you will see a pattern emerge that can be duplicated with reasonable accuracy in other areas of the lake or river.
    If you really want to take it to a more advanced level, then consider getting into 'waypoint management'. Using different symbols you can organize your way-points to record or identify seasonal patterns, structure by type, and cover like brush piles, submerged lay downs etc.
    Heres one last clue. Most likely you have time, water temp, and depth data on your screen. Organize them on your screen in a way that when you take the picture or capture the screen shot that data is viewable. The pictures become your journal having water temp, depth, and time of day. You can also tell by the picture if it was a sunny or cloudy day too and the month and year the pic was taken.
    Another way to create a picture journal is to combine your pics with 'notes' on your IPhone and add comments there.
    The possibilities are endless.

God bless, and see ya on the water.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Yep. Some overlap no doubt. I'm learning a lot from you and Steve. The biggie for me is the maps and patterns. It's my bread and butter.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

THfishing is offline I spend more time posting then working!

I have been using that feature for a couple of years now and love it. Its very helpful when your using your Navionics card once you mark your waypoint it automatically marks the depth your boat is sitting in. Then I study that waypoint and see what type of contours that fish is holding to then I use that to make a pattern. Once you catch a couple of nice fish its easy to find points or similarities in a creek. If your using a Lowrance with a Navionics card I found it helpful to to put your safety depth at 18ft. So if your on your Chart go to Chart option> settings> safety depth> 18ft.