Thread: 3/12/16 Kerr FoM east

Default 3/12/16 Kerr FoM east

I seriously considered not posting as I was pretty embarrassed by my performance. This is a information sharing site and I'm sure a few of my friends on here have had a similar experience, so I'll share.

It's probably been close to 4 or 5 years since I've fished a Tx on Buggs, probably 3 since I've even been on it at all. I started fishing and learning the lake in the clarksville area, but I've probably logged more hours in the lower portion from say butchers into nutbush around satterwhite. When I saw FoM would launch at occoneechee I thought I'd return to my Buggs roots (mistake 1)..

My partner Doug and I arrived about 9am friday, my plan was to check Bluestone and some larger mainlake coves above and below clarksville. We did alot of idling and looking, as I wanted to know what was where as far as rocks, wood, claybank, sandbank, etc. we saw 57* water with maybe 10" visibility... clarity was terrible but much improved over two weeks prior when you could have grabbed a handfull of sediment out of it, and the temp was a full 10-12* colder then. We had a few hits if we slowed down some, and caught 3 fish in the last hour before we finished our day 3-4pm.. all on c-rig, 6-8 fow rocks on claybank secondary point in mainlake cove..

Saturday we thought we may have a chance to at least catch a limit.. I'm not shooting for stars, I'd just like to leave the ground here..lol, to make a long painful day short it didn't happen. We started with our "pattern" and had a few missed bites, about 2.5 hours in I catch our first (and only) keeper thats 1.60#.. on our "pattern". That was it, we had just enough misses and a couple break offs to keep us going in the wrong direction. We checked shallow a couple times but never got a bite, and didn't explore that pattern as we should have. We had 1 fish to weigh and out of 18 boats 15 caught limits, with 24# winning the event, 2nd: 16.39, 3rd: 15.6...all shallow as far as I know.

A humbling experience for sure, I'm not a awesome fisherman by any means, but I am better than how I performed. I had the distinct thought around 12:00 "we need to do something drastically different" but ignored it. I don't know what that drastic change would have been at the time, but I know by ignoring my gut It didn't help us at all.

I wont say that this type of performance will never happen to me again, But I have definitely taken valuable lessons away from it.

In hindsight, I have been grossly underestimating the timing of the stage fish are in this year and been waaaay behind them all winter and now into spring, mental adjustments will be made. I also forced myself to fish in a way that isn't common when I'm trying to figure out whats happening, I'm a crankbait chunker not a plastics dragger, but I was trying to expand.. will be harder for me to make myself do that again.

I will not ignore my gut in the same way again, I dont believe I would feel as disappointed if we had finished with the same result but I had listened to my instinct during the day.

Still a fantastic event, great people and organization,I'm glad we are a part of it and I can't wait till Anna in april!
    </div>

Your girl said to "Shake it off..."

It's why we all do it right? If it were easy, then why bother. Throw in something hard, and put it in a competitive situation, and oh btw, they are all sharing the water too, add the necessary learning around the biologics of the body of water (bait, temps, structure, temps, clarity, recent weather), other competitors fishing your water and you have enough variables to make a AI computer program pause. I've had your experience too many times and I will have it too many more times. Makes me work harder. You KNOW a c-rig would have caught fish, if you were fishing around the bass and using the right presentation/bait and the right depths around the right spawning grounds. The slower the presentation, the more correct your area has to be. So long reply short, different styles of fishing require different pre-fishing plans. If you only had a day, then using a power bait to cover water the fastest might have been a better option for you. Catch a bunch of bucks, you KNOW the females will eventually find that area, so you can then probe more slowly a bit deeper in the general vicinity. For the E70 this year, it limits you to only 1 day of prefishing. Thus me and my partner will be fishing out of 2 boats and primarily powerfishing and doing a lot of sonar scanning to try and quickly figure out which part of the lake is at which stage of the spawn. We are going to fish shallow to deep in each area and try to put a pattern together that will get a limit and get us around some bigger fish. Time Management is a trickly thing and one reason I love Tx fishing. You cannot ignore it and you also have to master the physical aspects of fishing too. I applaud you for the post. Its hard to write about failure..you rarely see a fishing picture of a guy holding up empty air right?
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Sorry bout the tough tourney you had, but it happens to everyone. So keep your head up and keep plugging away. My son Mike (Bassmstr7)and I sit at the table next to u at the meeting. We weighed in 13.79 and lost 2 fish that cost us a paycheck. Poor execution. In practice and tourney day we found plenty of 2lb Bucks eating spinnerbaits very very shallow in the muddy water. Our bigger fish were found deeper down to about 12 ft. All of these came in cleaner water. We were down lake and mid-lake. Baitfish were present in our areas. Hope this helps a little. We only finished 5th, so there's better advice out there.

sounds like you took away a valuable learning experience, no doubt it will help you moving forward.
    I'm about to play my Ace

You been fishing long enough Andy to know how humbling this sport/passion can be. Pick your head buddy and keep on keeping on...
    Crank That Jank!

It happens. I've taken a couple of pretty good a$$ stompings this year too. Just part of the sport.

Days like that happen bud! You will get them on Anna! Good luck!
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Hang in there Andy. Anna is up next. It should be a good tx for you. It was good visiting with you on Friday night.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Thanks everyone,
    and thanks Jim, its always nice getting to hang out with you,
    </div>