Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New potomac River Tournament Regulations...

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    I get what you're saying, but for St. Judes, are the fish are more important than the sick kids?
    Many ways to donate without fishing, which I do as well.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    Many ways to donate without fishing, which I do as well.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by gnfsnva View Post
    I get what you're saying, but for St. Judes, are the fish are more important than the sick kids?
    So not being allowed to keep more than fish over 15 inches would permit you from helping the kids?
    Make VAO Great again

Quote Originally Posted by Squire View Post
    PFRC controls the main stem of the Potomac, so in theory VA will enforce these rules by agreement as well. I for one, will not fish in any Tx that does not abide by these rules as I believe we need to lead by example for protecting the fishery. If we don't, we are just inviting enforcement to step in. Can you imagine that livewell checkpoints outside the rocks at Leesylvania by DNR? I can. Also, these rules will potentially impact the St. Judes, which is always the first Friday after the July 4th holiday week. My participation in that for example will depend on if they honor these restrictions.
    Agree with you 100% Steve.
    Make VAO Great again

Quote Originally Posted by PsuHntr View Post
    So not being allowed to keep more than fish over 15 inches would permit you from helping the kids?
    sigh, like I said, I will participate only in Tx's that follow the PFRC rules. I like them, wish they went further....
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

I think you misinterpreted what I said ^^^
    Make VAO Great again

I agree with this 100%, it may not be to the very very few whom eat them but, they are not as relentless on them. Doubt if they come to the river 2-3-4times a week and hit it up. Besides not many people I know would eat anything out of river anyways.
    I believe the reason not during spawn they are looking at this because the majority of your spawners are your 12-15" fish and tx anglers are not targeting them because they have to over 15" and per stats of last 2 years that has been a task.
    Hoping they MDNR and VGIF will implement off limits areas in spawning areas to help during the spawn as well.
    I know it's not what most anglers want to hear, but if we want the fishery to come back strong it's what needs to be done, along with help on eliminating pollutants.
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

Tx rules should also be changed in these times to if you bring back more than 1-15" fish you take responsibility of fine given to director and your disqualified in the tx
    2017 Ironman winner
    2019 Polar Bear winner

This only applies to tournaments permitted to launch out of MD. No on the water laws have been changed yet so it shouldn't effect anything launched out of VA. It will probably make some tournaments change locations.

Bass fishing on the Potomac is all about the grass. The more grass the better the fishing; the less grass you have, the harder the fishing. For the ones that may not know or remember, during the nineties, the river, from DC to nanjamoy, was like a golf course. 40 and 50 bass days were common, but during that time, a seven pounder was rare, but 2-4 pound bass were abundant. As we entered into the Y2K, the bass got bigger, tx bags got bigger, but overall numbers were starting to decline, and so were the prolific grass beds. The river goes through cycles and we are in one. I believe it's in the beginning stages of a rebound and the worst is over. Kerr went through the same thing. It lasted about 5 years and Kerr is fishing very healthy right now.

Until then, here we are, a few grass beds are left and they get beat and the river is fishing smaller. The bass respond to this pressure by changing where and how they feed. But anglers don't change with them. The bass are better at adapting than anglers. Potomac river anglers are spoiled by 20 years of easy fishing. For the time being, the river is just like Anna. It's hard fishing, you have to work at it, and yea, your feeling are going to get hurt every other trip lol.
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Overall Winner
    2010 VAO Polar Bear Big Striper

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast