Thread: Batteries

Default Batteries

The wind has been kicking my arse the last coupe weeks, i need to purchase new 12V battery for trolling motor.
    I've been using Interstate and seems i can only get 3 years out of them before replacing!!
    Anyone using the Optima's are they worth the extra $$$$ or does anyone know where to get the AC Delco brand locally?
    Let me know what you think,
    Thanks

If you're getting 3 years out of a basic wet cell battery you're doing great. That's better than what I've averaged over the years.

It's a cost-benefit thing - if you're fishing a lot then you'll appreciate the longer life and capacity of the AGM batteries. You'll pay 20-50% more for ~25% more life. If you're an occasional fisherman you might not fully realize the difference. Like any other battery the AGMs need to be used. Letting them sit is no better than it is for the wet cell types.

if you google around, here is a info article quote:

AGM has very low internal resistance, is capable to deliver high currents on demand and offers a relatively long service life, even when deep cycled. AGM is maintenance free, provides good electrical reliability and is lighter than the flooded lead acid type. While regular lead acid batteries need a topping charge every six months to prevent the buildup of sulfation, AGM batteries are less prone to sulfation and can sit in storage for longer before a charge becomes necessary. The battery stands up well to low temperatures and has a low self-discharge.

I have the Optima 31 series for 3 years now and they are going strong. They come standard with a 2 year warranty and any dealer will accept them. I had to do this on one of mine and BPS gave me a new one no questions asked, no charge as you would expect. They offer free shipping to your house.
    cheers,
    Steve

2011/2013 St Jude's Charity Tournament Champion
    Bass East Big Bass Challenge winner of 11-12 and 12-1 hours.

Thanks i'll let ya know which way i go, definitely not sticking w/ Interstate, no offense Kyle Busch or Gibbs racing!!

Go talk to Chris at Fish Tales. He sells Interstate and Deka batteries. I replaced mine with Deka last year and they have been great. There is a Deka rep that supplies Chris and any issues can be taken care of locally.
    Kirk

I have deka batteries and they seem to be doing a great job in the cat. Like steve I had blue top optimas in the tracker and they lasted 5 years.
    </div>

Surprised to hear that about Interstate. We use interstates in both boats, one for our 12 volt minn kota riptide. Do you recharge it after EVERY use? Letting any battery sit at not a completely charged state reduces the lifetime of the battery. Also, drawing it down below 50% capacity hurts it as well. Just food for thought. We have had ours for our trolling motor about 4 years now. Runs all day long, even on trolling motor only lakes or fishing the currents of the bay.