Thread: New Member - Mossy Creek Class

Default New Member - Mossy Creek Class

Hello,

I'm a new member here and I'm planning to take a Mossy Creek Outfitters Fly Fishing Class. Has anyone here ever taken a class with them? I'm looking forward to the class and hoping to find out what to expect.

Once I take the class, is there any place that I can go (catch & pay or otherwise) where I can gain experience in fly fishing? I'm not looking to go south of Staunton, Va. Hopefully, Mossy Creek can answer these questions as well during the class.

Thanks
    DirtRoadz

This might help you in your information gathering.
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/trout/
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

Dirtman,

Thank you so very much for that it. It had quite a bit of what I was looking for.

I spoke to my brother yesterday who has been to a "catch & pay" location somewhere near Culpeper or Madison county and he told me that it was excellent fishing but the tab totaled up quick to quite a large amount. If I'm able to gain experience, catch quality fish and have fun all at the same time, then I'm willing to GLADLY pay the fee.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DirtRoadz View Post
    Dirtman,

Thank you so very much for that it. It had quite a bit of what I was looking for.

I spoke to my brother yesterday who has been to a "catch & pay" location somewhere near Culpeper or Madison county and he told me that it was excellent fishing but the tab totaled up quick to quite a large amount. If I'm able to gain experience, catch quality fish and have fun all at the same time, then I'm willing to GLADLY pay the fee.

Thanks again.
    That would be Graves Mountain Trout pond. Take lots of money. At $4.55 per pound it mounts up fast. Trust me ....I know from experience.....hahaha.

http://www.culpeperfamily.com/graves...ain-trout-pon/
    2013 Frog Only Tournament Winner
    2010 Tie for VA-Outdoors Angler of the Year
    2009 Caroline County Rotary Club Tournament Winner
    2007 Tuesday Night Classic Champions
    "Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."

There are several good stocked put & take streams around: Passage, Hughes, Hawksbill, Robinson, Rose. Just got back from the Ozarks Bennett Springs and old CCC park in Missouri had a great week. Need to get together I'm in Culpeper.

Dirtman,

$4.55 per pound?! WOW! If I'm paying that then there had better be some SLABS in the bucket. And they say that ALL fish caught MUST be kept. If it wont even cover a slice of bread, then why would I want to keep it? I'll have to give this some serious consideration. I'm blessed, but not blessed enough to pay $4.55@lb for bait. I think I'll hold off on this until AFTER my class.

(Hmm, A barbless hook and a slack line sounds like an excellent cull method)

Thanks!

Wormchukker,

I'm going to presume that I can find these (Passage, Hughes, Hawksbill, Robinson, Rose) on a local map. I be sure to ask about them during the Mossy Creek Fly Fishing class next month. Getting together sounds like a plan. My Dad lives in Rixeyville.
    Last edited by DirtRoadz; 04-13-2016 at 12:39 PM.

I second all the recommendations given.

Also if you want to fish still water, try Lake Thompson. It's stocked with trout and only a few minutes from Linden.