Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carolina boy headed to VA, for vacation in June...

Default Carolina boy headed to VA, for vacation in June...

Hey guys just found your forum and hope you don't mind a kayaking Carolina boy joining up. I will be staying a week at Shenandoah River State Park this upcoming June and just looking for advice. I haven't fished a river much at all, normally I stay on the lakes around home. I was wondering if anyone could help me pick a float or two on the river, where I wouldn't or shouldn't get in trouble. Till I get the hang of this river fishing.

I will be in town on June 16th thru 23rd, if anyone would like to go fishing I would welcome the company.

Thanks for the help.

welcome aboard!

lotsa doods on here who fish the 'doah. you might wanna spend some time going thru their reports in that section. some good info there to help you plan your trip. nothing like river fishing. you may never go back to lakes/ponds.

Welcome to the site and to VA.

I can't speak for the Doah, but there are plenty 'round here who can. Good luck.
    Wishin' I was fishin'...
    www.lds.org

I am south of Shenandoah, but the river fishes the same. Senkos, craws, small swimbaits. Stick with natural colors. The water is usually pretty clear.
    </div>

I appreciate the welcome and the information. I will do a little more reading and see what I can find.

many good sections on doah around there. senkos, tubes, lizards and lots of plastics all work well. decide if you want to fish backwater to a dam or a float trip. usually can catch plenty of smaller fish that time of year.

If you're staying at the Andy "Guest" state park on rt.340 in Bentonville, Va you are good to go. Set your gps to Acorn Hill Rd in Bentonville, this is the put in for the canoe companies, you can put in there and fish right down to your campground. acorn hill is about 10-15 minutes south of the state park on rt.340. good luck, this is a decent section of the river and no hazards at all.

Have a frog tied on

CHUCK n DUCK

hope you had a good trip and had good luck

Man what an awesome river y'all have up there. The Shenandoah has some awesome fishing and some really nice smallies. I wound up catching almost a 100 fish in the couple of days I fished. Most of the time I would only get to fish a 2-3 hours a day, couple of days I fished till noon. Caught fish up to 16" in length, though I would say the average was 12-13". I definitely will be back up that way one of these days, hopefully soon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast