Thread: SML week of 6/24 - 7/1

Default SML week of 6/24 - 7/1

Myself and the family spent last week at Smith Mountain Lake staying just a mile or so south of Bridge Water Plaza. I didn't get a bunch of time to fish but was able to sneak out early and late a few times in the mornings and evenings. The fishing was pretty good as fish were fairly easy to locate early in the morning cruising rip rap banks and I mostly used a spook to get bit from these guys. The ever present dock pattern was in force as well but most of these fish seemed a bit smaller. The best pattern of all was the main lake point fish which were caught on a drop shot, 10" zoom worms in candy apple and a Carolina rig. The Carolina rig produced both large-mouth and small-mouth. I started with a 6" zoom green pumpkin lizard and never switched all week but it did seem that dying the tail chartreuse made a significant difference. The point fish were holding in 8 - 25 feet of water and the presence of natural cover and bait was of course necessary.

I must say, the bass in this lake are both very healthy and strong. Can't wait to see how things materialize with the recent stockings of the F1 hybrid bass!
    "I may be crazy, but it keeps me from going insane"

- Waylon Jennings

Some good observations, glad you got out and were able to catch some fish.

You are one brave soul, Nate. Boat traffic gets ugly early on SML during the summer.

Most folks won't notice it but there's a lot of current running thru SML. That's what helps make/keep those fish so strong. If you look at previous F1 stocking programs, all of those lakes had similar profiles to SML. With its rich forage assortment there's no doubt SML will be the go-to big fish place in a few years.

Great report Nate - sounds like a great week.

Good job Nate. Eddie Griggs was up there all last week too. Yall probably saw each other and didn't know it.
    Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions