Thread: 7/16 Priority Toyota Series

Default 7/16 Priority Toyota Series

Mike and I decided to fish this tournament at the last minute. We came up with a little game plan (no practice before) but when we got to the ramp and saw how low the water was already we had to scrap plan A. We ended up just going fishing and hit some random stuff. We started in the James fishing a creek mouth and caught a small keeper on a worm and a 2.75# on topwater. We hit another area we have never fished before and caught a 2.5# on a worm. This fish was beat up and eventually died when we ran to the Chick (we figured if we could cull it then we were having a good day). We ran down river and went into a creek and fished a laydown and caught 2 more keepers for our limit. We had maybe 9#. Worked our way in the Chick and fished an area on a hunch that we haven't fished in 20 years. The water was high and going out. Mike catches our biggest fish 5.45# on a spinnerbait. We proceed to catch about 10 bass in this area and culled several times for small upgrades. From there we went to one of our better spots and I caught 2 on a crankbait that upgraded a little more. From there we fished another creek and I caught a 2# and a 2.75# and culled again. Then I was ready to leave and Mike was retying some rods in the back and I made one more cast and felt a thump. Set the hook into a good one but was sure it was a catfish. When it came to the boat and we saw it was a bass we panicked a little but got her in the net and it was another 5# fish. At this point we are thinking we have 17# and need another good one for a shot at the win. The dead fish now was going to hurt us because we couldn't cull it.
    On our way back to the James we got a call from my buddy Eddie Griggs. They lost the prop to the big motor and were dead in the water. So we ran to them and picked Eddie up and their fish and took him in to weigh them. We still had about 30 minutes so we hit one more spot and caught a 2.75# fish but it wouldn't cull (was bigger than our dead fish though). We went to the scales and to our surprise we had 18.63# but net 18.13# because of the dead fish. That weight was good enough for 3rd place out of 140+ boats. Was our best finish in that series to date.
    We definitely learned a few things Saturday that should help us going forward. Scrapping the game plan and just going fishing like it was a practice day really paid off for us. We've been needing to change some things up and just haven't had time to practice. I'm glad we used this day as a practice day! lol

Eric

2004 Fishers of Men VA-East Division Champions

Great job fellas!

Awesome job E!!!

Nice job guys!!
    I'm about to play my Ace

Nice write up buddy. Congratulations!
    Crank That Jank!

Awesome E!
    </div>

nice work, E. some days it pays to just go fishing. you da man!

congrats Big E
    2010 VAO March Madness Overall Winner