Thread: culpeper gauge on Rapidan

Default culpeper gauge on Rapidan

Can anyone tell me a good MINIMUM water height at the Culpeper gauge on the Rapidan to provide a float trip on that stretch without having to walk and pull the boat?

Crank That Jank!

Thanks. Great site and exactly what I wanted to know.

Snowblind....would you two mind if I ask..I have an old town guide 147 canoe, am retired, and have nobody to drop a car downriver for me. I live close enough to Eli's Ford that i could put in there. I would like to paddle upstream a couple miles and then float fish the return for smallies. What high and low gauge heights would you suggest that would permit me to do this? Are there other parts of the Rapidan river or the Rappahannock that would permit this? Is this a good idea, or is wading the only preference? Just moved in 2 years ago and trying to learn the seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by keeganzpapa View Post
    Snowblind....would you two mind if I ask..I have an old town guide 147 canoe, am retired, and have nobody to drop a car downriver for me. I live close enough to Eli's Ford that i could put in there. I would like to paddle upstream a couple miles and then float fish the return for smallies. What high and low gauge heights would you suggest that would permit me to do this? Are there other parts of the Rapidan river or the Rappahannock that would permit this? Is this a good idea, or is wading the only preference? Just moved in 2 years ago and trying to learn the seasons.
    The minimum height for heading upstream at Ely's Ford is 1.5' at the Culpeper gauge. You can paddle up mile from Ely's to an island in the middle of the river and fish that section - before floating back to the takeout at the bridge - after that on the float back, the fishing is not quite as good due to the long straight away - not much room for the smallies to hide.

You can also put in at the outflow from Hunting Run reservoir and go up river - that section has more rocks and is a better smallie environment - the confluence with the Rappahannock is less than a mile from Hunting Run outflow.