Thread: Buggs Island this weekend

Default Buggs Island this weekend

Hey guys, heading to Buggs this weekend, putting in at Eastland, water level predicted to be 303.7 This means i think water will be well into the bushes. Any thoughts, recommendations, etc?

:Fishing:

I would find cleaner water and throw spinnerbaits and crankbaits around the bushes. Also if its a slower bite, flip jigs or plastics around the bas of the bushes. Also try to pattern them early on, i know they can all be in the buck brush, or they can be on gum trees, or on the deepest bush on the point. Last year in may the water was still up, but they were pulling during our tournament and if you got a bush on a point that was the last one on the point you could catch multiple fish from it. i think cleaner water is the key though and i like to find deeper bushes.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

Tom -

Here's a link to a fishing report from Virginia Outdoors Elite from last week. http://vaeliteoutdoors.com/OUTDOOR_REPORTS.html

Also a thread from this board on last weeks action...

http://va-outdoors.com/showthread.php?t=1866

Sounds like the water levels are up a little bit. I agree with Jay's comment and would add if you can find wind blown bushes in deeper water - you should have some luck. I'd also tie on a rattle trap and not be afraid to throw it right up on shore and bounce it back.

Good luck down there and let us know how you do.

G
    Ranger Z520C Mercury XPS 250

definitely g, thanks for adding that in. Wind is key on that reaction bite.
    VA Outdoors Tournament Director

thanks guys for the info. I think you are right clean water may be key. I will let you know how we do.

Well we fished hard all day. Water was up but very stained. We threw spinnerbaits and cranks all day. My partner caught 6 landed only 3. Biggest 3 pds. I only had 1 strike on a crank and managed to pull it out of his mouth. Bites were very sparse. Winds were about 20. Fished Eastland, Nutbush, and Rudds. Did not see any signs of spawning fish.